Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone had problems getting your deer back from the processor? >

Anyone had problems getting your deer back from the processor?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone had problems getting your deer back from the processor?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone had problems getting your deer back from the processor?

I shot my buck on mon 11-10. dropped it off at the processors house that day. when i dropped it off no other deer there. he told me it would be a couple of days. i called that weekend and he told me he hadnt touched it yet. told me to call him on Sunday or monday. i didstill had not touched it yet. he calls on tuesday. he caped it and i could pick up the cape.

told me two more days and would have the meat cutup.well here it issaturday and no deer.

i am thinking he is cutting up all the gun season deer and letting mine go. because i am new to his business. what do you think?

also how do you politly say.. dude its been 12 days where is my venison?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone had problems getting your deer back from the processor?

Just like you phrased it. Dude its been 12 days where is my meat.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Luckily, my best friend and his family are proccessors. Never had a problem, if I do...I just send some sack punches. I'm usually first on the list. It is nice.

I'd walk in and say I want my deer.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

he could be overloaded...he could be sick...he could have other priorities. i know once gun season starts, a butcher working a small shop by him self or with a family crew is doing a whole bunch of taking in deer, filling out the meat cut lists etc..hanging deer etc etc...not enough time in the day to skin them, quarter them and get them cut....but once the season slows, they will get to it.

i know even our small butcher shops can get 100 deer a day....most of them turn guys down after they get so many...

the butcher just gotta know how his shop can be run...

12 days aint long...exspecially if theres a gun season open.

probably MUCH more time efficient for the butcher if he does them all in the same steps...skins them all...quarters them all...then starts cutting them all...they would run around like chickens with their heads chopped off skinning 1..quartering it...then taking it to the saws and slicers...then packing...then making the phone call that its done...

specialty meats take time as well...no sense in firing up a smoker for 10lbs of kielbasa...

just depends on the butcher shop and time of season....my early season archery kill was done in about a week last year....some of my rifle kills take 2-3-4 weeks...i started taking mine skinned and quartered and it seems to speed the process...they tag the quarters and hang them till they are ready to get to them...
Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM

My processor has it back in 4 to 6 days regardless of how many they have. They do over 1500 + a yeard and usually have alot there. They move them in and out to keep freezer space open.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its definitely about time. I'd ask. My meat processor makes me second guess if I truely get MY deer back. I can bring in a HOSS of a deer and get the same amount of meat I would get if I were to bring in a yearling. Something tells me he fibs on the meat.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

learn to butcher yourself..Its not that hard...You might need an inexpensive bandsaw.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a retired butcher he only does for a few guys and thier friends each year. I took mine in The Sunday Morning I got it, he had it for me Monday after work.

As a side note I stumbled on a deal on a shoulder mount too..$200 if paid up front!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

thats just it. i always cut my dear up myself but with all that is going on right now i did not have the time. and i am in a new place where i do not know where i would do it nor how to dispose of it when i was done so i thought the easy thing to do is drop it off.

i just think that i am getting the shaft to his regular clientele
Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Spike

Definatley learn how to cut up a deer yourself. Its a lot easier than what everybody thinks and the amount of money you spend in gettinga deerbutchered one timeyou can invest in a few good knives. I enjoy it a lot...get a few beers, get a table set up, and a radio...your good to go. Plus there is a huge satisfaction factor knowing at the dinner table that you killed, butchered, and cooked your own dinner.