Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New here, want to hunt

Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

What Will you Need/tips

-your shotgun

-a couple boxes of slugs

-If it has a full choke do not shoot slugs through it, anything modified or under is ok.

-You WILL need range time, and if it will be your first time shooting i suggest you have a friend bring a small caliber rifle. Shooting slugs your first time might cause bad form, flinches, etc.

-Don't get caught up about killing a deer each year unless you really want to get meat on the table. Heck i havent killed a buck with my bow for 2 years now

-Camo Jeans/ Camo button down shirt. You can get these at walmart for about 12$. I get them a size big and then just were a hoody and sweat pants underneath. I like it a lot better than wearing my cold weather gear.

-hiking boots

-fanny pack

- get a blaze orange vest and hat, never hunt with out it.

-knife

this should get you started good luck
Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

A good GPS!

If your plan is to hunt the big woods, getting lost can make for a bad experience your first year out. I use a Garmin 530 Rhino and it is probably my most important tool. Thats not to say you don't need to learn how to use a compass. Batteries can go dead and then your screwed!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Welcome to the forum and to the world of hunting. I was lucky in that my husband taught me to shoot and is still teaching me to hunt. It was a completely new thing for me.

You may find that the emphasis in the class is on safety rather than how to hunt. It doesn't matter whether you get any game as long as you don't kill/injure yourself or someone else.

For clothes, hunter orange is absolutely required, both for safety and legally. It looks really obvious to us but deer can't see it very well. When I say they can't see it, I mean deer don't see colors well. So that vest that looks bright orange to us, doesn't really stand out from the surrounding landscape for a deer. Pink is even less visible but hunters would, I think, object to wearing pink. Blue stands out for deer. So if you want them to spot you, wear those blue jeans and denim jacket.

I wear children's size clothes, so my stuff costs a fortune. But my husband wears military surplus that he gets dirt cheap from Sportsmans Guide.

Unless money is no object, you should think about getting two guns, one for hunting and one for practice. You can practice shooting all day with a .22 for a few bucks. You'll want to practice some with your hunt gun too, but once you have the basics, all guns work the same. (Heavier guns though, have less recoil.)

I don't know where you are, but if it gets cold there, dress warm. We don't hunt from a stand so we're always moving which keeps you warmer. You'll chill pretty fast if you're sitting still.

You can learn a lot by reading. My husband, before I met him read a book by one of the Benoits which describes tracking deer. He studied it and practiced until he could do it himself so that's what we do.

You should give bowhunting a shot. You can spend tons of money on equipment, but you don't have to do that. We bought my Proline youth bow at a yard sale for $20 and I've taken two deer with it. My husband bought his last bow for half price because somebody didn't like it and brought it back. He likes it fine. Practice with a bow is really cheap. We practice in our backyard. We shoot six arrows a day each, unless the weather is really nasty. Our oldest girl, five, will be getting her own little bow for Christmas.

You can learn a lot on these forums. Just go ahead and ask questions. I don't post much but I read a lot.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post

You can learn a lot by reading. My husband, before I met him read a book by one of the Benoits which describes tracking deer. He studied it and practiced until he could do it himself so that's what we do.
+1
These brothers are probably some of the best big woods hunters here in the North East. They are from Maine and hunt primaraly Maine, New Hampshire, & Vermont. They're style of tracking is really the only way to do it and be successful at it.

You can't go wrong learning from them.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Spike

Thanks all. I will definitely invest in cameo clothing (I have previously made purchases from the Sportsman Guide). Today I learned that male turkeys have white, red, and blue on their heads, so I must not wear those clothes.

I passed the shotgun and written exams - I am now legally authorized to purchase a hunting license in my state! I've narrowed down my choices for a long gun. Hunting, here I come!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks all. I will definitely invest in cameo clothing (I have previously made purchases from the Sportsman Guide). Today I learned that male turkeys have white, red, and blue on their heads, so I must not wear those clothes.

I passed the shotgun and written exams - I am now legally authorized to purchase a hunting license in my state! I've narrowed down my choices for a long gun. Hunting, here I come!

Sorry, but to me you sound very naive. I commend you on asking your questions. Most are very good. My suggestion is to find some people to take you hunting before you get in too deep and spend tons of money on crap you don't necessarily need because someone on line told you so.

Also, your location will dictate your type of hunting. The Benoit way will never work in my area of Illinois. Around here, you're best to get your butt up in a tree over a food source or trail to and from a food source/bedding area.

There are lots of ins and outs. You'll learn most of them through trial and error and mistakes. One of my biggest was learning just to stay put.

Take it easy. Go slow. Keep asking questions. But, most importantly find someone to take you hunting. Better yet is to go with more than one so as you will learn different things from different people. Good luck.