Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New here, want to hunt

Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default New here, want to hunt

Hello everybody. This is my first thread/post.

In a few days, I'm going to take my state's mandatory hunting education course, which will then enable me to have a hunting license. The course will involve firearms safety and it will also include shooting w/ a shotgun.

I have no hunting experience. I do not come from a family of outdoorsmen. And I accept the fact that getting even one deer this season may be a big accomplishment. Still, I am intrigued by hunting, want to learn what I consider a traditional manly skill, and frankly, want to eat venison.

So here are my questions.
1. Other than, say, cameo clothing, a shotgun, a knife for dressing, what other equipment will I absolutely need? I speculate I may have to buy one of those bright orange vests so that other hunters may see me.
2. I'm thinking of buying a portable heater (that uses propane; I assume that even with proper clothing, it'll be nice to have a heater as I will be outside in colder weather). Yay or nay for bringing heaters while hunting?
3. How difficult is it to dress a deer?
4. The average deer you guys have hunted - if counting only meals for one average-sized male adult, how much meat does each hunted animal yield (how many meals)?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

1. Only necessity is a weapon and a way to dress the animal. I have camo for bow season but once it gets cold out I usually just wear my brown carharts with no trouble. You may also want to invest in a treestand.
2. Why on earth would you take a heater to the woods with you. If you dont like the cold you shouldn't be deer hunting IMO
3. Field dressing a deer is very simple, there are many how to videos out there to help you out.
4. As far as meat it just depends on the size of the deer. From my deer last year that dressed aprox 120lbs after processing I ended up with 4 Roasts, backstraps and aprox 30lbs of burger, give or take a few lbs (can't remember exact amount)

Last edited by elmoughler; 10-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

welcome,
as eager as you are to get out and hunt
first, slow down,
just getting your hunter ed, and new to hunting
i would not recommend going out hunting big game just yet,
first step is getting out in the field,
learning the land/animals,
also when you get your shotgun, practice first before heading out in the field with it,
any ranges nearby? public or private? have your own land to practice on?
hunter orange requirements will vary by state, will be covered in your hunter ed course
whether its required or not, i highly recommend it.
in NY hunter orange is optional, and i wear it even when on my own land,
other states have various regulations, certain amount of sq inches on head and body,

remember hunter ed will teach you the basics to hunt safely and ethically,
they will not teach you how to be a good hunter, that will take time,

for safety your gear will vary, how far into the field you plan on going, how long you plan on staying out,
basics safety gear, first aid, compass, fire starting kit,
hunting alone, let someone know your plans/route/how long you plan on staying out,
heater? not at all,
if your not comfortable being out in the cold, keep your day short, and learn to properly layer your clothes,
field dressing a dear isnt difficult, doing quickly, efficiently, etc will take time, basic field dressing will be covered in hunters ed,
as for butchering the deer recommend taking it to a deer processor nearby, find 1 or 2 ahead of time so your not scrambling looking after the fact.
wouldnt be concerned about the weight
smaller deer = less meat, but generally easier to harvest a smaller deer,

while your waiting on your license, there is nothing stopping you from getting out in the field, scouting, finding spots,
get your gun and practice,
also have you thought of small game?
deer seasons are usually pretty short, but small games are usually available most of winter
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

1. Other than, say, cameo clothing, a shotgun, a knife for dressing, what other equipment will I absolutely need? I speculate I may have to buy one of those bright orange vests so that other hunters may see me.
You need comfortable, durable clothing, with a way to carry your necessities: license/tags, ammo, knife, light. I hunted for years in my farmwork overalls and a plaid top coat. If you are going to be distant from water/food/shelter, then you may want a water bottle/canteen, energy bars, and a poncho/raingear.

Adding purpose made hunting clothing is nice, but expensive, and you are not as likely to where them in other situations. See what you have in outdoor wear/work clothes and add what you need. You have years to add fancier items.

Orange is a legal necessity for some, a safety must for others. I happen to be the latter. I wear orange for turkey. I'd rather go home empty handed than dead.

2. I'm thinking of buying a portable heater (that uses propane; I assume that even with proper clothing, it'll be nice to have a heater as I will be outside in colder weather). Yay or nay for bringing heaters while hunting?
I have seen them used in permanent blinds (be careful of CO poisoning), but not in the field. I have also seen the chemical heat generating bags. I have not used either.

3. How difficult is it to dress a deer?
I grew up in a slaughter house, so I am a little biased. Due to the smallish size and often lack of hoist to hold the carcass in the field, it can be more difficult than beef, but not the pain of scraping hogs. About like mutton. If you are squeamish, that is a different issue to which I cannot relate.

4. The average deer you guys have hunted - if counting only meals for one average-sized male adult, how much meat does each hunted animal yield (how many meals)?
Average 2.5 year olds yield about 75 pounds of boned out meat. Young animals considerablu less.

Last edited by Palehorse; 10-12-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome and enjoy the new world you are about to enter.
Learn your weapon and respect your game.
Buy good boots keep your feet dry never sacrifice on that
Good luck
Treebeard
Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say,read as much as you can about hunting deer.Don't buy into all the"you have to have this and the deer will flock to you".Self teaching yourself is hard but it can be done.Read as much as you can here,you can learn from others experiences.LEARN YOUR WEAPON OF CHOICE!!Forgot to add:ask questions!!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
once it gets cold out I usually just wear my brown carharts with no trouble. You may also want to invest in a treestand.
2. Why on earth would you take a heater to the woods with you. If you dont like the cold you shouldn't be deer hunting IMO
Please do not wear brown clothing unless you have orange on! We would like to see you through this first season!
I reccomend orange whenever you're afield.
Gun safety is very important. Never climb a tree with a gun. Never cross a fence with a gun. Pretty much common sense things, just don't take avoidable risks.
If you want a heater, then so be it. Heck, take a coleman camp stove and cook s'mores if you feel like it! Don't feel like you have to kill a deer right away, learn all you can about the animals and the environment.
Most of all, just enjoy yourself out there.
It is a special time and I am thankful for every minute that I can spend in the solitude of Gods creation! I hope you will too!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Just for the record I do always wear hunter orange. My point was that you don't need camo to harvest deer.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
Just for the record I do always wear hunter orange. My point was that you don't need camo to harvest deer.
and that's a good point!
I've had many successful bowhunts in jeans and sneakers!

He seemed like he was already in the know about orange, just these days you can't stress it enough!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, I hunt all private land that my family owns, however I still wear my orange. Never know who may be trespassing on your property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.