Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hog sign bad for deer hunting? >

Hog sign bad for deer hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hog sign bad for deer hunting?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Hog sign bad for deer hunting?

First season hunting, needing some help. When I'm out scouting I see a lot of hog sign - is this good or bad for deer hunting? Will deer stay in the same area that hogs have been rooting or trails they use?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some expereince with hog-deer "mixing" at a food source. I was hunting deer in a swamp area that is covered with water oaks. At the time (early bow season of 2010), I was n o a aclrn falt that was covered with acorns, and more dropping everytime the wind kicked up. About 10:30 a.m. I herd sloshing behind me, and a groupf of 5 does came in and started to pick up acorns. I spotted anothe deer behind me which turned out to be a nice buck. He was much more cautious about coming in. About 30 minutes later, he had worked his way onto the flat and was feeding about 50 yards from me. I was hoping he'd come closer. About that time all the deer looked up and to my left, then blew and scattered like covey of quail. I had no clue what was up, and suspect either a poacher or a coyote .... then boom, aobut 6-8 midsized ferral hogs appeared and came crashing in on the same flat to gather up acorns. So - to make the best of abad situation, I decided that if I could I'd stcik one. I did and about 2 hours later was at the truck with a nice sized sow.

I have seen a lot of hog sign in that 880 acres of property. I have killed several hogs and several deer in that swamp . I don't think that cohabitating is an issue, but from this one event, maybe deer do not like hogs to be close by. And for sure the two critters compete for the acorns.

I saw a similar reaction while hunting in NE Texas. But is was differen in that the hogs thjat cam rushing in actively ran the deer off a corn feeder. Came in, busted the deer out and would not stand for the deer to come back near. A few deer tried and were run off again ... and after a while gave up. By then I suspect all of the feed had been eaten anyway because the hogs left shortly tehre after ... well all but 2. They made the trip out in the back of my PU.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

One farm I hunt has both deer and hogs. Deer do not like being around hogs. Hogs will not run deer out of the county, but they will not stay in the same area together. Last week I was bow hunting and heard a deer coming up behind me and to my right. The deer stopped and just stood there and after a few seconds I heard them coming. As soon as the hogs busted in my food plot the deer turned around and bounded off. I have 6 cameras on this farm and only once have I gotten a pic with a deer and hog in the same frame. The deer will come right back in as soon as the hogs leave. I reckon deer learn to tolerate them. Shoot the hogs they are great eating.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gregrn43
I reckon deer learn to tolerate them. Shoot the hogs they are great eating.
Yup BACON!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Spike

Thank everyone for the responses - I haven't seen any hogs in the area but it is torn up like crazy from them rooting around. just wasn't sure if this meant i'd be better off hunting elsewhere.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would just shoot the hogs.