Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow accesories advice

Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Spike

Arrow Bow accesories advice

I just got my new bow and would like to know what you guys think on the setup. Its a Hoyt Rampage XT and it needs a stabilizer, sights, arrow rest, and quiver. What do you guys think is a good setup?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

This is a VERY hard question to answer without knowing your personal preferences and how/where and for what you'll be hunting...Here might be some general guidelines though.

Stabilizer-go to your local shop and shoot your bow with several to see what feels best on your set up...that's really the only way to pick a good one

Sight-Do you want fixed pin (my preference) or a moveable pin, or a combo...G5 makes a sight that has one fixed pin and one that's adjustable which is kind of nice, but it's a pricey little sight...I've been a BIG fan of Cobra sights, they're very sturdy and the fiber optics pick up TONS of light. They offer fully supported pins which makes them last much longer and makes you not have to worry about pulling a fiber out of the pin.

Arrow rest-either you can get a full capture like a whisker biscuit or a drop away...I would recommend a drop away and really like the ripcord code red or the G5 Expert Pro. Each has it's pros and cons and it really depends on how you hunt.

For me quivers don't matter a whole lot because I take it off when I get to where I'm hunting so as long as it holds my arrows that's all I really care about so I don't have much info on them. My G5 Halo works just fine for me though.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Spike

Don't do a whisker biscuit...do a drop away rest. If you can afford it, go with a QAD rest, otherwise ripcord makes a good one for the money. I like a 4 pin optic, but a lot of people are going to a single pin...personal preference really!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Just do what feels right for you. That's what archery is all about really. You could have the best stuff on the market, but if it doesn't feel right for you, it doesn't matter. I shoot a whisker biscuit and a 4 pin sight. As mentioned earlier, the quiver doesn't matter cause I take it off. I have some limb saver split limb silencers. That works for me...
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

For sights I preferred the pendulum sight IF you are going to hunt from a climber.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default rest

I prefer a whisker biscuit. I hunt from a climber and feel confident that once my arron is is place, it will stay there until I pull the trigger.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I, too, use a whisker biscuit, and love it. I know that there are many who will recommend harshly against it, and perhaps even judge me negatively for using one, but I have had nothing but success with mine. Bought a QAD drop-away a couple years ago to test out against my biscuit, and found little to no change in groups, or speed. 2-3 fps faster with a drop-away, and the only groups that were different at all were at 50 yards, which is farther than I, personally, will be shooting at a critter. The fact that I don't have to worry for a second about my arrow staying in place is by far enough of a pro for me that I will be sticking with my biscuit.

I use a 5 pin sight. The idea of an adjustable, single-pin sight is intriguing, but I also would worry about cranking it too much, or too little. I know where my 5 pins hit. For folks new to bowhunting, I would recommend a 3 pin sight, though. Less pins to worry about. You will have very little drop out to 20 yards. Set your first pin for 20ish yards (18, 22...whatever you want it to be), and then go on up from there. You will only have three to worry about, though, which could be handy when a nice buck comes in and you are having a hard time remembering what each pin is, and which one to use when getting ready to make the shot.

I like the dampeners that you put on your limbs, but prefer to keep silencers off of my strings...just my personal preference. As for a stabilizer, nothing you are going to use in a hunting setup will be doing more than noise reduction, and perhaps remove a very little bit of vibration. I like the cheap 4.5" Sims S-coil the best.

I, also, take my quiver off. Any cheap quiver will do the trick. All it is there for is to keep your broadheads concealed...you don't get cut, and they don't get dull.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default bow set up

The best advise anyone could give you should have been done where you bought the bow. Take it to an archery store and have them fit the pull and tension to your body build. Also, get a peep sight for your string that doesnt require the rubber tubing. Find a sight that offers you good vision in low light conditions and buy a decent broadhead or mechanical broadhead.
Good luck. You have started out with a very nice bow.