Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where have all the deer gone

Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Spike

Unhappy where have all the deer gone

Hello everyone
I am a relatively new whitetail deer hunter here in southern missouri, and have noticed some major changes in the last month.
I do not know what to think!
I have 3 trail cameras out on private property. I was getting between 650 and 1300 pics per week all spring and summer at my mineral sites, and now nothing. 1 or 2 deer in the entire week. Has something changed recently to the herds. I have not noticed any nuts falling, no other hunters, and water is nearby. No tracks, no rubs from velvet coming off. All sign Just gone!
Any help?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crossbowelite
Hello everyone
I am a relatively new whitetail deer hunter here in southern missouri, and have noticed some major changes in the last month.
I do not know what to think!
I have 3 trail cameras out on private property. I was getting between 650 and 1300 pics per week all spring and summer at my mineral sites, and now nothing. 1 or 2 deer in the entire week. Has something changed recently to the herds. I have not noticed any nuts falling, no other hunters, and water is nearby. No tracks, no rubs from velvet coming off. All sign Just gone!
Any help?
Their summertime pattern has changed most likely.
When the run kicks in you will probably see them back.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Spike

This time of year bucks are breaking out of their bachelor groups and going into almost a hiding mode. They're really just resting up and getting ready for the rut. They are cruising different routes than they do in the summer. Also using different bedding areas. They're there, trust me. They just are starting to get their mind right to chase does and are also being recluses. This is a normal pattern. Best advice I can give is don't give up or lose hope. Also try hunting closer to bedding areas, this time of year. Better luck maybe catching a buck leaving or returning.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

deer are not hitting mineral licks or other common baits right not they are tearing up the acorns
Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

1. deer are slaves to their stomach, so you have to follow the food.
2. acorns are the preferred food source and they are now available.
3. Minerals & salt are something that they will use primarily during the summer months.
4. when the bucks rub their velvet off, they turn into a different animal. Their pattern will change almost over night.
5. As the rut approaches be sure to hunt your doe's. Find your doe's and the bucks will follow.
6. when the rut hits, you will see bucks that you have never seen before and likely will never see again.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kyslayer
deer are not hitting mineral licks or other common baits right not they are tearing up the acorns
x2

Most likely they have changed to acorns, although depending on where you live that can be a temporary move. The bucks I have been watching in eastern Oklahoma have recently started coming back to the corn within just the last few days. We had acorns here but not a great crop, so it didn't take long for them to wipe them out. As others have said they might also have changed their range, which would be worse case for you, and then third you might be checking your site too often and pressuring them away, which is bad but if this was the case if you leave it alone for awhile they might come back.