Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The BEST hunting story ever!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The BEST hunting story ever!

Jimmy forgive me for making this a seperate topic, but this truly touched my heart deeply, I wanted to make sure eveyone saw it.

This is one of my favorite stories... My buddy and I were hunting in Maine and we were setup in a cedar swamp about 300-400 yds apart. Neither of us had gotten our deer yet, so we had a little side bet on who would tag first. About 9AM I heard a shot in the direction of my buddy and, a minute later, I heard another round go off. Thinking maybe by buddy had filed his tag, I took my time and slowly walked in his direction.

When I finally got there I saw my buddy but another hunter was walking up to him with his young (12 yr old) son. The young hunter told my buddy that he shot at a buck and thought he hit him, but the deer ran off. His was as excited as can be and all the while hoping that he could find his buck. The son asked my buddy why he shot. He told the young man that he saw this deer and it looked like it was hurt real bad, so my buddy told him he had to put the deer down. He then asked where was the deer and he was told it was " over there" about 40 yds away. When the boy walked to it he said..." that' s the deer I shot at" ...

When we all inspectd the deer, it was evident that the first shot did hit the deer, just grazing him under his gut. This deer certainly would have survived without any long term affects of the shot. My buddy told the young hunter that his shot was a good one and that my buddy shot him while he was down so he would not suffer any more. All evidence of blood certainly proved otherwise and the father then began to interrupt, knowing full well what had actually transpired. My buddy then told him to take a look at the smile on his son' s face.

The young man asked was this really his deer and my buddy told him absolutely and without any doubt, it was his deer. He was so happy that he finally shot his first deer and it was a buck (6 pointer about 150 pounds). The father, in a coy way, asked if my buddy was sure he wanted to stick by his story and he said of course....We all shook hands as we helped drag the boys deer back to their truck...

Many other hunters would not have done what by buddy did but he never had any regrets. There is now a man in his early 20' s that will never forget that first deer he tagged while hunting wth his Dad in the Maine woods. As far as our bet...I bought him a steak dinner and a few beer because, after all was said and done, I thought he deserved it!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The BEST hunting story ever!

That' s a good story. Your buddy' s a good guy. There probably are a few heartless people out there that would keep the deer but, as I see it, this was a win/win situation. Everyone' s happy. That' s what our sport is about.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-12-2003, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing - it' s very possible that the kid belongs to this web site. That would be something.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Or the father!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:11 AM

As long as the dad followed it up with plenty of shooting practice and discussion about where to shoot a deer properly, wonderful move.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with FL GA, it was a good move if there was a follow up with practice and more suggestions.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Very cool story, Taz! Shows how really great people can be!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:40 PM

Your right that is the best hunting story ever! All Thumbs Up! It would be an honor to hunt with such good people and if you ever come towards South Carolina, give me a shout and come hunt on my land with me as my guest! CDH
Old 09-12-2003, 09:37 PM

Yup, sounds like a super guy. With all the horror stories I hear that are fought over a dead deer that sure was nice.

personaly I would of told the kid to take a walk