Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I have a hunting story I need help on??please >

I have a hunting story I need help on??please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have a hunting story I need help on??please

Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM

Default I have a hunting story I need help on??please

My 2 brothers, dad and myself went on a hog hunt in east Texas on a guys ranch who owns a deer lease which is over run with hogs and he wanted them off real bad so it was a real cheap price and we get to take 2 hogs a day. No one in my family bow hunts but me they all use rifle and don’t even want to try bow hunting I have no problem with rifles but I just don’t think its for me. Im shooting a golden eagle kinda old but I love it at a 70lb pull and muzzy arrow heads.

This is what happened it was the evening hunt and I was sitting in my stand with my bow and a 30-06 just in case something happens and there’s a feeder no more then 10 feet in front of me with corn already on the grown. I was in the stand by 6 and about 7 the pigs come and it’s a nice heard with 2 about 125 and the rest real little maybe 60lbs. I go head and decide to take the smaller of the 2 big ones with my bow because this is the first hog hunt I have been on with my bow. I take the shoot and it’s close to perfect shoot I hit next to the shoulder blade a little high but since I was up the angle it hit at was just perfect, my best shoot ever I felt of course. This is where the problems start happing the arrow is a clean pass through and it hits the ground behind it and pops up and pokes into one of the smaller pigs a little to the left of my pig I thought nothing of it because the arrow feel out and they both took off together. The rest of the pigs got spooked but came back and it was still early so I thought lets just take the other big one with the rifle, I do so and it drops it maybe 5 feet away from where I shoot it and the rest of the pigs just take off will I radio in with my bro who heard the gun shoot and he walked over there where I am and by the time he gets there I find a blood trail and get the other pig out into the road. We start tracking and we are finding real good blood everything from bushes covered to drops on the ground and I know its down somewhere because I can smell it somewhere near ( take in mind its east Texas so the woods are very think) my brother says he sees it and its not moving and we walk up to it and then it takes off we are chasing it trying to get anther shoot off but as we are following it I notice something’s wrong with the pig, it only has a wound on one side and its very small that’s when it hit me it was the wrong pig. By that time we are almost lost in the woods and pretty far away from the road we should be on so we decide to go back try to find the blood trail again and see what we can do but we end up getting even more lost so it takes us atleast 45 mins to get back where we needed to be. by that time its getting dark fast and we have no light to track and we don’t know whos blood trail is whos and where one cuts off and my big one might of gone another way or if the other was down close to it a lot of things poped into my mind at that time but we decide to cut our losses and head back to camp to see if we can get help from the people whos land this was. it was a guy who had some age on him and said he really wouldn’t be able to help because he wouldn’t be able to tell what from what on the land so the pig was gone if I were to go the next day coyotes would of gotten him if the ants didn’t by then. I know it probably wasn’t a good idea to shoot the other pig with my rifle but I was hoping someone could tell me if I did anything wrong I had about 2 hrs and 30 mins left of daylight left when I took the shoot

Im asking yall because my family of rifle hunters wont stop saying things I don’t belive they know anything about they say I shouldn’t have been hunting with my bow and when I shoot it was to late in the evening and it was a all around bad idea. I don’t believe this but now im starting to think they were right. Anyone have any imput on this for me? Thanks!

Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I have a hunting story I need help on??please

let me get this straight...first shot went througth 1 pig, killing it. then hit another pig with the same arrow? then you left that pig there and shot another one? i think you should have went and got the first pig before shooting the second one, but with 2 hrs and some mins left u had plenty of time....
Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 PM

first off welcome to the forum. now i have never pig hunted my whole life even tho i would like too, but i dont see that you did anything wrong. but when you come up to something make sure that since you had that gun have it loaded and ready to go so if it does get up like it did u can put it right back down.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 PM

no i shoot the frist one with my bow then the second one with my rifle droping it right away. when i shoot the pig with my bow the arrow passed through completly hitting the ground behind it the arrow after that took a funny bounce off the ground and jump up and poked into another pig both of those pigs ran off together but all the other pigs stayed at the feeder so i took a shoot with my rifle at another one and that droped right away walked maybe 5 feet
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 PM

thanks for the welcome! and for the imput i know i shoul dof had the gun ready i was still pretty excited but i do understand that wasnt the best idea thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:11 PM

so you tracked the wrong hog?

and what are your fellow rifle hunters saying about it?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:34 PM

run with hogs and he wanted them off real bad

don't sweat it too much if they're that bad. Hogs can be a huge problem, killing an extra one by accident, that shouldn't be a huge deal
Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM

they say werid things such as it was a bad idea to bring a bow for hogs but i know so many people who do it and they also say that i took the shoot to late in the day so even if i did bring it down it was a bad idea and a over all bad idea to hunt anything but deer with a bow

the other rifle hunters where in there stand on another pice of property in the other direction only 1 of my brothers was able to come help me

thanks for yalls advice