Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold weather clothing

Old 09-07-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Cold weather clothing

I am wondering if anyone has tried The Heater Body Suit? I would like to know if it is any good at keeping you warm. I am tired of having to leave my stand because I am numb from the cold. This is the only product that I have no tried. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cold weather clothing

Hi Kristen, welcome to the board. I' ve never used the Heater Body suit but when I' m hunting in a box stand I use a sleeping bag. I' m in North Carolina where we don' t have very cold winters but I' m a big wimp when it comes to being cold. Anytime it gets below freezing I have a really hard time staying warm. I' ve also used the Hot Hands which help quite a bit.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:32 PM

Welcome to the Board... I have NEVER liked battery opperated things that keep you warm because they are set for a sertain temp and if it is warmer than that then you get too hot...I think that the best thing is to dress in layers... Then if you get to warm you just shed a layer...HAPPY HUNTING [:-][:-][:-]
Old 09-08-2003, 08:23 AM
bjk

I know you said you tried everytihng, but here are two cold weather items that are spoken about very highly...

http://www.ullfrotte.com/ (Do a search on the web to try to find the best prices)

http://www.cdsportswear.com/

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Kristen .
welcome to the board , and where do you hunt ? Layering like Daffy said is usually the best solution , and I carb load to keep warmer . Unless you' re hunting in the great white north a pair of insulated coveralls or bibs , combined with insulated footwear should solve your problem . I' m thinking of trying Ballistictip' s sleeping bag idea this year too since I hunt from gound blinds all day . It doesn' t get that cold in Indiana either , but I' m a wimp for cold too .
Old 09-08-2003, 07:28 PM

Before I tell you where I hunt you have to promise not to laugh! I hunt in NE and Central MS. I know all you guys up north think it doesn' t get cold down here but it does sometimes. I am the very biggest wimp when it comes to cold. I can be outside in 95 degree weather with 99% humidity with flip-flops on and my feet are still cold!!!! Our cold is not the cold dry air like up north, we have the cold, wet, humid, sticky, watch the moisure freeze while its still in the air kind of cold. Damp, wet, stick to everything you' ve got cold. Thanks for the websites too.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Since NE and MS are both great hunting areas I' d find it hard to laugh at you . Southern Indiana is pretty humid too since we have a huge river flowing through our valley , and it can get rather frosty sometimes . Your prob may be the circulation in your legs and feet , mine get cold easily too . Rubbing your legs occasionally will improve the situation , along with standing up to let the blood flow better . I also keep my feet off of the ground to reduce heat loss .

Are you hunting from the ground or a tree stand ? The wind saps heat very quickly in an exposed stand , which is another reason I love my pop up blind .
Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 PM

Kristen,
I cannot help but good-naturedly laugh at you. I remember many times going out to the stand at -10 or worse. The last few years have been too warm in fact (lows in the 30s and highs in the 50s). But, having lived in Minnesota all my life, I am accustomed to it. I couldnt handle your heat, I would melt. I have read a local author up here (Gary Clancy) quite a bit and I seem to recall him saying that the heater body suit was awesome. You could do an internet search on him or contact him at Outdoor News (outdoornews.com, I think).
Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Kristen ,
with due respect to Mr. Clancy , you should also know some of the downsides of heated clothing .

1) When you heat your body artificially it must adjust to the prevailing temperature , and you will sweat (yes , even in winter) .

2) Once the batteries run down you will quickly cool down again , sweat intensifies the cold feeling .

3) Your sweaty clothing will no longer insulate efficiently .

4) Your body temperture will begin to slowly fall .

5) You cannot depend on your memory for battery changes/charging , or bringing spares . Mr. Murphy has a law that precludes this ...

These garments feel great until they no longer work , then you may end up feeling like an icicle . If you are an all day hunter it can make for a miserable day on stand . I tried those battery powered socks once since I especially hate cold feet , notice that I said once ? My feet got so wet that the 1,000 grams of Thinsulate might just as well have been toilet paper . I finally had to break from my stand and leave to warm up .

It would be all too easy to become dependant on such a garment for comfort , forcing you to be more selective about your hunting choices . Would you want to be in the wilds of Colorado on a dream solo elk hunt ten miles from your camp and have your suit fail ? Give it some more thought first , and ask some more of our Canadian members for advice . Nobody would know better than them .
Old 09-09-2003, 08:41 PM

Kevin I know for a fact I don' t have ciculation problems, that would be a quick and easy answer for my getting so cold. I am 28 years old, a nurse, and in perfect health unless I die in my sleep tonight. The Heater Body Suit isn' t operated by any batteries or anything. It is this big, bad, high dollar camo sleeping bag with legs. That pretty much sums it up. It has a " you won' t get cold or your money back gurantee" . Now in my short life I have learned that a) these people must have a pretty good product or b) they say that to get your money and then you are screwed. That is why I was trying to get some input on it before I pissed another $300 dollars in the wind on " WARM" hunting clothes. Check it out at heaterbodysuit.com and see it.

Quick Reply: Cold weather clothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.