Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Insect repellent??

Old 09-09-2003, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Insect repellent??

Hey Fellow S.C. hunter. The best thing I have come across is a great product called ThermaCell. You wont have a single misquito bite you and it keeps about a 15 foot barrier around you. It has no smell and can even work as a hand warmer when it gets cold. It uses replacable mats in it and when the mats run out, I take the olds one and soak them in doe in heat lure and use it as a heated scent attractant when it gets cold. It works GREAT! You can find more information at www.thermalcell.com Good luck! CDH
Old 09-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

CDH thats the wrong site you spelled it wrong heres the right one.http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/pro...cordless.shtml
Old 09-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Scent Shield' s No Stinkin Bugs and No Stinkin Ticks. I apply both to me pretty liberally...they seem to keep them off fairly well.

But I' ll be honest with ya, after puttin it on, you' re gonna smell like dirt, but it won' t scare off the deer...but if you' re planning on goin to eat with the lady or something after a hunt, before taking a shower, you might go a different route. lol
Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

The thermocell works. I use it everytime I go in the woods and with ll the rain we have had in Fl. this year there are plenty of skeeters and I have had no problems when using the thermocell
Old 09-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

CarolinaDeerHunter ,
while I haven' t used the product personally , I' ve never encountered any butane burning device that emits no odor . Deer can smell what we can' t , and whatever you put on the pad will also emit odor when exposed to heat even though we can' t smell it .
Old 09-10-2003, 09:52 AM

The studies I have read about the product says that deer can not smell it. I have had deer walk extreamly close to me while I have been using it and they never seemed to have picked up on an odor from it either. Your right about the pad emiting whatever odor is put on it, thats why I like to use it as a heated doe in heat lure. All I know is it works for me and I will continue to use it. The biggest draw back I have found with it is that the pads dont last long enough but maybe I' m just cheap! LOL CDH
Old 09-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shannons Bug Tamer treated with Duranon, works great!!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:15 PM

Here in KY I have a problem with maskitoes also. Though I don' t like hunting till it' s cold enough that they are all dead[X(]
Old 09-14-2003, 09:04 AM

No stinking bugs in earth scent works fine. Just remember, as always, play the wind and there shouldn' t be a problem with deer winding you.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Carolina and Gulfcoast- This thermacell gadget, How do these things work. I read some where that they last for about 6 hours, can I use it for three hours and put it out or something and then use again another day? or do you only get 1 continueous use? Thank You in advance.