Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Insect repellent??

Old 09-07-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Insect repellent??

Was wondering if anyone has had any success with an insect repellent (mosquitoes). I have used several but seem to not get the effect that you need when trying to remain still. Also when I use certain so called unscented I have that wonderful sound of being blown out of the stand. I hunt in SC and NC and opening days also includes you open to the mosquitoes. Any help that anyone may have will be greatly appreciated. On a final note I have bought some repellent this year made by Scent Sheild. Thanks to all who read and reply.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Insect repellent??

Best thing I can recommend is to buy a Bug Tamer suit. The skeeters will still find you but they cannot bite you through the suit. I hunt in NC also and during early bow the afternoons get pretty hot. I wear my Bug Tamer with nothing on underneath but underwear. I seem to stay alot cooler and have yet to be bitten by a mosquito. Best of all, you don' t have to worry about the deer smelling any insect repellent.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:46 PM

I use No Stinkin Bugs I think it is by Scent Shield, in a red can?! It works pretty good and smells like dirt. I have invested in a bug suit and it does good.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used sportsman repel the other day while scouting,I had bugs and skeeters bouncing off me. Worked great but I swear it had a little aroma to it.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

u pin maine, i had the lovely oppurtunity to test out a couple different insect repelleants and found that the scent shield unscented worked the best. i sprayed it on my 3-d suit on monday an hour before the hunt and let it air out and the mosquitoes wouldnt touch me. the earth scent (red can) works, but the unscented is hands down the best you can get. plus, it didnt spook the coons, bear, deer or moose, that i saw from my stand. gets some!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

for crawling insects , permethrin is the way to go , two name brands under which permethrin is used and sold are permanone and sawyers permethrin , both are under $10.00 . it gets applied to your clothes. cabelas also makes a product called " no stinkin ticks that sells for $10.99

as for flying insects , anything with deet should work for them , like the stuff made by " off " usually works for me ,

so , what' s this sportsman repel stuff , i' ve never heard of that before ?? and what' s up with that scent shield stuff ???
how much do both of those brands go for ?? where do you get them ??
Old 09-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some one on the sight recomended repel it contains 29 percent deet. It sold for about 9.99 . They had a regular can of repel for yardwork, it contained 15 percent deet it went for about 5 bucks. I got it at Dicks. I was looking for Sawers Permethrin and that new thermacell they had neither. Thats the first and last time I shop there. Bought a box of target clays I thought were cheap, got home and found out there were only 90 clays instead of the reg 150. live and learn or Let the Buyer Beware.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:47 PM

I don' t know, but I' m gonna get some Scent Shield, no stinking bugs. Went out this past Saturday and cut some new trails. Man, I' m still fighting off the chiggers. Anybody know of a good way to get rid of these little #$%@^&@????
Old 09-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Smitty, look for Chigger-X, that is the only thing that I have ever found that really got rid of chiggers!
I have not been able to find it for the last couple of years, they may have quit making it.[:' (]
Other than that, I' ve tried bathing with a little clorox in the water and rubbing alcohol, both have helped a little but not like the Chigger-X!!!!
I think that one of the worlds worst forms of torture would be to tie someone up and throw them into a room full of those critters!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Stinking Bugs in earth scent.Best stuff I' ve ever used.

Quick Reply: Insect repellent??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.