Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cows and deer ?

Old 09-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cows and deer ?

where i hunt theres 200 head of cattle and the deer dont seem to mind. although i perfer not to hunt around cows
Old 09-09-2003, 11:27 AM

I once had a fellow that probably knows more about deer hunting than anyone else that I personaly know, tell me before he goes deer hunting, he goes by his neighbor' s cow pasture. He told me that if the cows are standing or moving around, the deer will be too. If the cows are bedded down, then the deer are also bedded down at that time. I knew better than to laugh at him and after doing the same thing for a few weeks, I began to see a very distinct pattern. I also began to see a common link between the cattle, deer and barometric pressure. To this very day I still have a habbit of looking at cow pastures on the way to my hunting land and I still see a common link between the three...cows, deer and barometric pressure.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the places I hunt is a cattle farm. The deer do not mind the cows, but I don' t think they love them either. We have killed a few out of pastures that had cows in them at the same time(although no big bucks). About the only thing I know for sure, is that the deer will change their patterns immediately when the cows get rotated. They will eventually get used to them being there...and gradually settle back into their patterns, thought not completely. Unfortunately, the farmer tends to rotate the cows to the exact areas we plan on hunting about 2 days before we show up. LOL....always seems that way...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:04 PM

I would add that cows over time change the habitat. Where we hunt, a swamp without cows is much thicker and denser than one in which cows have eaten a lot of the vegetation. This probably affects deer movement and locale more than the actual cows themselves do.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve hunted with cows and deer my whole life and while their not the best of buddies, the cows can help you out. If you see cows feeding in the woods, there' s probably persimmons or acorns on the ground in that area and that makes it good place to hunt when the cows aren' t around. Also, I' ve spotted more than one deer by watching the cows. When a cow see' s a deer, that cow will stare at it until it' s sure of what it is. If theres a bunch of cows and a couple of them are looking in a specific direction, I look where the cow is looking and sometimes it' s a deer, sometimes it' s a coyote, sometimes a person that ain' t suppose to be there. Horses are also great for spotting deer.
Bulls and some cows can mess your whole day up, too, kind of like Taz said, they can be bullies.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:18 AM

the deer will get along with the cows if they are use to cows if there not i could take a few years for the deer the act right

on a good point if you dont see any deer is that a cow no i think its a big buck opps

just joking all
Old 09-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Once the deer get used to the cows it will not be a problem. In fact, it can work to your advantage. I used to hunt a lease that had cows. One of the cows had a cowbell on and you could hear that thing ringing from a mile away at all times of the day and night. One year, one of my buddies decided to carry a cowbell when he walked in to his stand in the morning because he had been spooking deer every morning. I thought he was crazy but he went into to town and bought a cowbell and used it the next morning. The rest of us could hear him when he was walking, but he walked right up on several deer that were near his stand and just stood there and waited for first light without climbing up. When he could see well enough he saw that there was no shooter there, but there was a small buck and a couple of does standing 25 yards away and looking in his direction.
So consider belling one of those cows and try it yourself after the deer have listened to it for a year.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:27 PM

I HAVE HAD SOME EXPERIENCE WHEN IT COMES TO HUNTING DEER WITH COWS IN THE SAME AREA, AND THOSE EXPERIENCES HAVE ALL SEEMED TO BE BAD. THERE IS NOTHING MORE IRRITATING THAN WHEN YOU WAKE UP EARLY, GET TO YOUR STAND, AND JUST AFTER DAYLIGHT ABOUT TWENTY COWS WALK RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR STAND. WHAT WILL PISS YOU OFF EVEN MORE THOUGH IS WHEN YOU ARE HUNTING A SECTION OF WOODS WHERE THERE ISNT ANY COWS, AND THEN YOU START TO HEAR SOMETHING RUSTLING THE LEAVES AND SHAKING SOME BRUSH, AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW WHAT COMES STROLLIN' OUT OF THE BRUSH? NOT A DEER, A COW! THAT WILL SURE MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT HOW GOOD A HAMBURGER OR NICE BIG STEAK TASTES!!! I HAVENT HAD ANYTHING GOOD COME FROM MIXING COWS AND DEER.