Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Skininng and Butchering

Old 08-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Skininng and Butchering

Are there any sources on the Web describing skinning and quartering deer? I' m new to Whitetail hunting and have found a butcher. The hunter that recommended the butcher skins and quarters the animal before taking it to the butcher. He keeps the quartered meat on ice until the melt off begins running clear. He feels this eliminates any gamey taste. Any assistance on getting smart before the season starts is appreciated.

D
Old 08-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Skininng and Butchering

Welcome to the board. There are a couple of videos that cover butchering deer, maybe someone on here has a link. If you don' t find what you need, the QDMA at www.qdma.com has a book titled " Quality Venison: Homemade Recipies And Homespun Deer Tales, Vol I" that covers the entire process that you will need. You can also call them at 1-800-209-3337.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

[link]http://www.whitetaildeer.com/howto/butch/[/link]

[link]http://www.riverratt.com/huntingbutcher.html[/link]
Old 08-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard. While you’re doing research on skinning and quartering check out on butchering. It’s not as bad as you might think and the nice thing about it is that you cut and clean the meat the way you want it. You also know that it’s all yours if you know what I mean. Good luck.