Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

self butchering

Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default self butchering

i was looking at which butcher to use in my area not a lot of them

and i thought about doing it my self but do not wont to kill myself either

how do you guys do you own and how do you keep it cool enough also where do you do it do you have a room built for it or do it in your kitchen

or where any tip to the prosses let me know please
Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: self butchering

Its easy enough to quarter a deer - and pull out the backstraps. Then - you can put the portions in the bottom shelves of a refrigerator, loosely covered until you have time (5-7 days if need be).

Sometimes - I'll completely de-bone - and then trimand cut steaks & roasts on my time - and then package.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

the way my father and i do ours is we lay down something so we don't get blood everywhere. then we hang the deer on a game hoist, head pointing to the ground. then we skin the deer. after which we take out the tender loins, back straps, and rear hips and front shoulders, and whatever meat we can get from the neck. we try to use all the meat we can. i feel horrible if we waste any i figure i shot him, the least i can do is eat as much of him as i can. since that is what i had planned from the beginning. then we clean the meat up real good in the kitchen after we have quartered it into small enough pieces. then what ever meat i have left over (fat and scrap meat) i through in the dehydrator to make into snacks for my dog during duck season. so in a sense none of our deer goes to waste. hope i helped.

William

P.S. If anyone has an easier way please let me know.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usualy do mine int he garage. Ill quarter it up and take the backstraps out and from there Ill take it into the kitchen and cut my steaks and roasts and do all my triming. Like mentioned before if you run out of time just stick it in the fridge and finish it up in a day or to. The best tip I can give you is trim all the fat and membrane and make sure it is very well rinsed before you package it.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

ummm...why would you want to butcher yourself? That would be painful!

bigtim6656

i thought about doing it my self but do not wont to kill myself either
Now THAT would be hard to accomplish!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been cutting my own for a few years now, and it's really worked for me. I start out by laying down a tarp under my hoist in the garage, then skin and gut the carcass, then I just cut off as many roasts as it will allow after removing the back straps. Any remaining meat gets trimmed off in stew meat chunks. If you don't need fancy cuts this is pretty simple to do and saves you a good chunk of change. The freezer is in the laundry room right next door to the garage, I simply allow the wrapped cuts to cool long enough to put into the freezer once I'm done cutting. Cutting your own is pretty strait forward with this method, and not difficult at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

For a fee of $30.....I have mine done. I quarter mine and place a bag of ice in a cooler. Put the meat on top of the one bag of ice.....and place another bag of ice on the meat. Let sit for 5 days or so.....then take to the processor.

My processor also donates his services for the family I donate venison to.......so the first three deer I take in '07 will be handled in this fashion.

I did it myself on my first deer, ever, last year.....and it took 3 hours with help that knew what he was doing. For the price I pay.....I won't ever do it myself, again.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's really a pretty painless process to do yourself. I hang them in my garage. Skin the deer. Debone the hindquarters, take out the straps, take out the inside loins, take of the front legs, trim excess into cubes for stew meat and throw it all in the extra gigerator in my garage. I come back when I have time and cut into steaks, roasts, leave whole, or whatever the heck I want to do. You can have a deer skinned, quartered, and"on ice" quicker than you think when you get the hang of it and develop your own system.

The best tip I can give you is trim all the fat and membrane and make sure it is very well rinsed before you package it.
That's the best tip of all. Deer fat aint taste no good [:'(]

Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weve been doing our own for many years, I used to be a butcher soprocessing 1-5 deer for me is nothing. Hang the deer by the neck, if its good in cold oout in the shed liek steady temps around 30-40 I like to let it hang for a bit, skin it out, we start with the front legs, cut them off half way up the leg, toss the lower legs to the dogs, cut around the shoulder blades remove the front 1/4's cut them up for steaks, stew meat andtrimmings, then take out the back straps,(these are not tenderloins people, tenderloins are located INSIDE the deer) trim them up and cut into steaks, remove the hind quarters in one piece, then cut down the middle, take out the roasts, and everythign else goes into steaks and trimmings for burger. Grind all the trimmings, then run through stuffer and stuff into 1lbwild game game bags. They stack nicely in freezers and keeps the meat fresh longer. 1 deer about 1-1/12 hours of total work.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like you said,not difficult, but it's good to have someone show you first time. It can be intimidating.

Quick Reply: self butchering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.