Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on mock scrapes

Old 08-18-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Question on mock scrapes

Will mock scrapes work in my area, considering the fact that the buck to doe ratio isnt that close, and there isnt a whole lot of competition? And what time of year should I start making these and with what scent? Thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Question on mock scrapes

Well........where the heck is your area??????????/
Old 08-18-2003, 07:01 PM

My area is Michigan..about an hour from the thumb.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 PM

I usually wait until I see the first scrape of the new season. Then I pick what I t hink is a good spot, usually under the low limb of an oak. Find a good stout stick, scrape and clear a circle of EVERYTHING! (When done, carry the stick out with you, don' t leave it in the area. (Your scent is on it.) Wet it down, your urine will work OK. Monitor it and keep it fairly clean. It needs to look like it' s being used. A 15 inch circle should be about right. Snap a couple twigs on the overhead branch. Fray the end of one of them, like it was chewed on. I had one buck that tore the overhead braanch right off the tree.
Russ
Old 08-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Save your money because it' s better spent on other things. Yes, scents will work but the odds are not good. You will be more successful by scouting, hunting funnels and calling.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use mock scrapes but only as stopping points in shooting lanes. Most of the time you don' t even need scent, just scrape the leaves away scent free and they' ll stop to sniff. Sometimes putting some scent on a hanging branch can get them to close the last few feet, but its not going to call them in across country.