Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock scrapes

Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Mock scrapes

just wondering if anyone makes mock scrapes on their property and have any success with it?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mock scrapes

yup, i have never shot a deer over a mock scrape but i get plenty of game cam pictures of deer using my mock scrapes.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

When I make mock scrapes I usually start now, by using up my doe pee from last year and purchasing a new bottle or two. I look for huge rubs from the year before and dig a shallow hole and lay Saran Wrap in the hole and pour the doe pee in.

I prick several holes in top of the Saran Wrap, lightly cover it with soil, being careful not to cover the holes, and lay a flat rock, slightly elavated off of the ground on top of the area.

Why: Condensation collects each morning on the underside of the rock and if it's situated correctly will help to draw the doe pee to permeate the thermals early morning and through out the day.

Purposeoes are very protective of their young and will be drawn to the area and be comfortable as long as there is food and water nearby and the scent of other does/doe pee are in the area.

Now the area is ready for a mock scrape. Get you a drip bottle, fill it with doe in estrus, and during the pre-rut make your mock scrape in the same area the does were drawn to earlier in the season.

The last two years this set-up has worked perfectly for me. I made a mock scrape under a rather large spruce tree and I had several large bucks frequenting the area but couldn't "seal the deal."

Ahh... just the thought of a new year comforts the hunter in me, and brings moments of hope to "seal the deal" this deer season.

Good luck in your endeavor!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

same as camocop...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

also, my mock scrapes consist of me kicking dirt away underneath an over hanging limb and piss'n in it. i don't get scientific like 2poppa