Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CRP fields?

Old 08-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default CRP fields?

obviously i do not live up north, so i don' t know the answer to this question. what does CRP stand for?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CRP fields?

I wouldn' t call Kansas ' up north' , but I suppose that I' m farther north that you are, we' ve got tons of CRP, it makes for AWESOME hunting grounds for any type of game. Conservation Reserve Program, that' d be it, basically the land owner ges to put it in for 10-15 yrs, on a renewable contract, the only ' interference' they' re allowed is to either burn it or bale it at the end of the summers, since it stimulates awesome regrowth for the next year and it would be a fire hazard otherwise. They also get pilot sprayed for certain weeds and thistles. At one point, my grandfather told me that if you bought some land, and made it CRP, kept it for two terms you wouldn' t have anything for the terms, but at the end you' d have the land virtually for free. We just got on a new deal where we keep a herd of wild burrows, 2000 head, at the end of ten years we' ll own a 10,000acre ranch, no work in the summer, but hauling bales all day during the winter, no other interference, just feeding, no doctoring-not allowed.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Spike

I too am in Florida but i went up to kansas last winter to hunt my dad' s place north of Topeka. Some of the best fun we had was in the CRP fields.

One particular patch had not been bailed or burned and it was about chest high and thick. We lined up a drive at one end with about three people and one of us stood at the end and we must have run 15 deer out of the field.

When you look at it, you think to yourself, there is nothing there but rabbits but the deer walk out in the middle of it in midday and just lay down. The hunters are beating what little timber there is and the treelines and creek bottoms and the deer are all out in the middle of a wide open fiedl in waist high CRP. Go figure.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys. i' ve seen them up in indiana on management land that adjoins my cousins property. he' s told me about how the deal works between the state and the farmers, but he has never called them CRP feilds that i recall, but that' s what they are.
thanks again.