Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Processing Tips and Time Limits >

Processing Tips and Time Limits

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Processing Tips and Time Limits

Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Processing Tips and Time Limits

I process my own deer. I haven't had to "rush" this process most years as I've mostly hunted rifle season (Michigan) and temps are winter-like by that time.

But I'm crossbow hunting this year and I plan (if given the chance) popping a doe early. Temps in the early part of the season coming up look like the mid-50s-60 (day) and mid-40s at night.

My question:can I at least leave a deer hanging up in a garage for 24 hours in those temps? Longer?

I have an extra freezer (but not a refrigerator). Could I quarter it and freeze it right away--and then un-thaw and "process"...and then "re-freeze" the processed meat (after making hamburger, roasts, etc)?

I like to take my time and do the job right...but I'm a tad concerned about my setup and the temperatures right now (should I be lucky enough to shoot a deer).
Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shouldn't be a problem. Here's what I do: hang the deer, pack the inside body cavity with bags of ice, as much as you can fit in there.

When I've done this, I"ve had no problem shooting the deer, hanging all night, leave the next day and butcher that night.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

If it goes into the 40's at night and stays under 60 during the day and the deer isn't in the sun it should be Ok for at least a couple of days like that without any additional ice. During bow season here in Vermont I can usually keep my deer hung up in the soft woods in the shade of some big conifers for 3 days. I just check and if the meat is still cold it is usually good. If it turns warmer than 60 for a good portion of the day I take it home and process it.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are pushing your luck at 50-60 temps. I would dedone it and get it in a fridge to cool down . I do it like that all the time . it takes me about 45 min
Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
I think you are pushing your luck at 50-60 temps. I would dedone it and get it in a fridge to cool down . I do it like that all the time . it takes me about 45 min

same here... If it's really warm, Ill quarter it right away and get the quarters closed up in some big coolers on top of a nice bed of ice (not covered in ice). Then I'll cut them up one at a time as too keep it all relatively cool through the whole process. It's always worked for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

you'll be ok to hang it for a day or so, remember the carcass temp with be approx. 72 F and will take several hours to become ambient be that 40 or 50. The most important thing is get that heat out, which IMO requires skinning, especially in temps of 50 or 60F. if you have warm temps a trip to the freezer or in coolers on ise is better then tainted meat. You do what you have too to protect your investment...JMO.
FYI I put deboned meat from 3 elk in a fridge at elk camp this year, our cooler broke down, without any problems. The trim I sent to the freezer immediately who cares its getting ground at least twice. The straps/loins, tenderloin and hams (sirloins and rounds) were all bagged in trim bags and set in the fridge to cool additionally after become ambient and then cut the following day. The meat is absolutely wonderful. Point is a deer will not take up much room in a fridge or cooler with ice if it's deboned. You don't have to get really picky at this stage just get it off the bone and cooling.

good luck hope you connect with your xbow
Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

If you have an extra refrigerator (with enough space of course), skin the deer and quarter it up. Wrap the quarters & back strips in plastic wrap (keep from drying out) and place in the refrigerator. Then butcher as time allows within the next few days.

I've been fortunate enough to have an old refrigerator out in the garage that works good for this.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips and advice, guys. Good luck to you all as well this season. Be safe and have fun.