Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease? >

How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease?

I was just wondering how much everyone pays for their hunting lease and for how many acres? I live in Maryland for 6 years and NJ for 25 so I'm used to northeast hunting where its either "pay to play" or hunt shoulder to shoulder on public land. In NJ I definitely didn't have the money so made the best of public lands and actually did ok. I always dreamed of having my own land. When I moved to Maryland, I rented a farm house where the surrounds 800 acres of crop fields/woods were leased by a hunting club. They knew I loved hunting and would stop by a few weeks before the season and ask what I've been seeing in the area etc and I had no problem teliing and helping out. Things finally started getting good for me the same year they were looking for a new member. I scraped up the money and joined and loved it. I joined the following year as well at a slight increase for everyone. I just heard now that our rate will be $5750 (after insurance) for the club. We're trying to keep member numbers low of course but its getting pricey now. Of course I'm paying with not really thinking about it so im part of the problem but it seems to be getting quite high. Public land hunting is awful in maryland unless i want to travel over an hour which has a lot to do with it.
So my question is, how does that price compare with everyone else?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Oh yeah, the real reason I joined again without thinking is that a 100acre parcel is literally in my backyard and the remaining 700acres is a 5 minute drive away. I can hunt every single day from Sept 15-Jan 31 if I wanted to. All the other guys are 45-60min away, I have the place to myself most of archery season. I really can't complain about that!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well a lot depends on how many members You have in Your Club.....in other words how much do You each have to pay for a year of hunting...do You divide the total of the $5,750.00 between a certain amount of total members?

Here in Missouri I've had the chance at Leasing 484 Acres at around $5.00 per acre so the total would have been around $2,420.00 and I was allowed 4 members so I'm thinking $605.00 per member every year....thats not too bad a price.

I talked with another Guy that is hunting on a Lease down in Mississippi and he paid $1,500.00 per year just for himself.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a lease in central alabama with about 15 others in the club... Our membership is 1500 a piece! we are hunting on 3000 acres and that includes seed and planting. Its gone up over the last few yrs but i think if you have the means its well worth it... we skimp on a lot of other stuff throughout the yr to be able to pay our dues but i wouldnt have it any other way!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

$0, I residential bow hunt. See more deer and the owners let me know what deer they are seeing.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Never have...never will pay to lease hunting land...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

At just a tad over $7 an acre, that 800 acres is a decent deal if it's good land that holds the animals you're after. However, you probably wouldn't want more than 4 or 5 people involved, so that means better than $1000 per person. I'd do it if I had to go very far or fight others for public land to hunt.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

This was from the president of our club. We think we can sign up for this year for $5,500 or $5750. With insurance that amounts to $928 (at $5,500) for 7 members, $812 for 8 guys and $722 for 9 guys. Its getting up there in price but like I said, its either a walk in my backyard to access it or a 5 minute drive to reach the rest. I agreed without hesitating but thats because my business is doing well enough where I can afford it. I'm not sure how many people can actually pay that much.
I love archery more than anything and the great thing is, I pretty much have the whole lease to myself most of bow season and I get out a lot. The place gets hammered hard gun season by members and we are allowed to bring a guest. After a few days of firearm season and things totally shut down but by that point I've already had 2.5 months of bow to myself.
We had some guy bring a guest last year that took out 3 does in 5 minutes from one stand......i'm starting to have issues with guests taking a lot of deer out but I think I'm in the minority on that one so i just keep quiet but that will be a discussion for another post
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Spike

Man you guys are lucky !! Around us here in Ohio, land being leased is running $20 - $30 per acre !!!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

We pay $2,000 per year on about 1500 acres with 5 members.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.