Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease? >

How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Much do you guys pay for your hunting lease?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

South Dakota is a little bit different story than most areas on the east coast. It is a simple matter of population density. If land owners around here let anyone hunt for free, they would be overrun and there would be virtually no game on their land after a few years.

Also, around here most people don't even know someone who owns more than 1 acre. I have to drive for 40 minutes just to get out of the suburbs.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I think it's different with every situation brother. It sounds like you're in a good situation. 100 acres in your backyard and another 700 5 minutes down the road? Sounds good to me. I would do it in a second, especially in MD or NOVA. I think it would be one of those things that you wouldn't know what you had (or how good you had it) until it was gone. Living extremely close to hunting property has some huge advantages that most don't realize because they don't live close. I think you're sitting pretty in comparison to most in your area. In short, that price is good for your situation.

VA

Originally Posted by GPMD
I was just wondering how much everyone pays for their hunting lease and for how many acres? I live in Maryland for 6 years and NJ for 25 so I'm used to northeast hunting where its either "pay to play" or hunt shoulder to shoulder on public land. In NJ I definitely didn't have the money so made the best of public lands and actually did ok. I always dreamed of having my own land. When I moved to Maryland, I rented a farm house where the surrounds 800 acres of crop fields/woods were leased by a hunting club. They knew I loved hunting and would stop by a few weeks before the season and ask what I've been seeing in the area etc and I had no problem teliing and helping out. Things finally started getting good for me the same year they were looking for a new member. I scraped up the money and joined and loved it. I joined the following year as well at a slight increase for everyone. I just heard now that our rate will be $5750 (after insurance) for the club. We're trying to keep member numbers low of course but its getting pricey now. Of course I'm paying with not really thinking about it so im part of the problem but it seems to be getting quite high. Public land hunting is awful in maryland unless i want to travel over an hour which has a lot to do with it.
So my question is, how does that price compare with everyone else?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

$0, family owned 90 some acres that butts up against a unknown amount of federal land that has never been touched except for a methlab that was promptly busted once we reported it.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VA5326
I think it's different with every situation brother. It sounds like you're in a good situation. 100 acres in your backyard and another 700 5 minutes down the road? Sounds good to me. I would do it in a second, especially in MD or NOVA. I think it would be one of those things that you wouldn't know what you had (or how good you had it) until it was gone. Living extremely close to hunting property has some huge advantages that most don't realize because they don't live close. I think you're sitting pretty in comparison to most in your area. In short, that price is good for your situation.

VA
Ha, wow, if I didn't know better I'd swear you were my father talking! He told me to enjoy this hunting now in my own backyard because I have no clue how good I have it! I would be heartbroken if the club lost its lease for sure and Im just a renter and my wife and I are looking to buy a place shortly. I think we'll still be within a 30-40minute drive but man, I love walking right out the door and into the woods
Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I leased for the first time 2 years ago and got burned so I kinda have a bad taste in my mouth still. The same year I leased I got tired of the owner runnin cows around the property in 4 wheeler while I was on stand so I tried piece of public land that I hadn't been to and have taken 6 deer off of it. 2 decent bucks plus seen 2 that would be pushin b and c. The wife took her first buck also and my buddy has taken 3 more.

Don't get me wrong I do see the hunters come rifle season but I have still seen plenty of deer and have found spots that don't get to busy with the orange. Still if the right situation came about I would lease again especially if it was in my back yard like yours is.

Oh by the way when I leased it was $1200 total for 160 acres with no more than 4 hunters.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even know if they have hunting leases in Pennsylvania. I've never heard of anyone leasing here.

We belong to an association that owns 3500 acres. There are 66 families in the association. Only about 12 of them hunt so I rarely see other hunters. Dues are $950 a year. But that's not a hunting lease, more like a home-oweners association fee.

Our land borders 54,000 acres of SGL with the nearest access several miles away. On another side, 20,000 acres of state park border with a lot of it being no hunting. There are also a few, several thousand acre private tracts in the area. So, basically, it's very few hunters sharing about about 100,000 acres.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Spike

We pay $10,000 per month on about 1800 acres with 10 members. Man you guys are lucky !
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 AM
WCW
Spike

Originally Posted by alizabaith
We pay $10,000 per month on about 1800 acres with 10 members. Man you guys are lucky !
I hope you guys are only paying to use the land during the season but the way I look at it what you are paying is way out of line. If you have to pay for the whole year you would be better off pooling your resources and buying your own land. At that price my guns would only be used to shoot paper.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nothing charges a lessee better, ...

than one of the "biggest and best antlered buck" roaming a leased section of land. Even if they have to share it with hunters, who might shoot the buck first.

If it wasn't a recession, they might have had mortgages for all those hunters.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously the rancher that owns that 1800 acres is one hell of a lot smarter than the 10 members paying him that ridiculous amount per month!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.