Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pen Raised Deer

Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Todd,

No where in all those quotes did you locate anywhere that I said people should be forced to stop doing this or that it should be made illegal. In fact I have 3 times now stated the exact opposite. So one last time, how am I trying to force anyone to hunt as I do?
Dude, you are the one that said "forced", not me. I simply stated you are bound and determined to have others hunt only in the way you do via your belittlements and spectulative inferences. If you would like for me to point them out again,I will.

You know what it seems like here. You seem like a major league pen hunter who's ego is being hurt by people who have a negative opinion of these places.
Spectulation...again, you haven't a clue.

But you can't admit that so you keep hurling this ridiculous and unfounded accusation that I am trying to force you to hunt like me.
I know exactly who I am, and I do not need to admit anything. I'm a person who isn't afraid to let others hunt the way they want; hunting is not a competition for me. I'm not worried about whether or not somebody else is "cheating", or if their buck is bigger than mine. I seriously doubt you could say the same.

I know for a fact I will never hunt like you, at least my motives won't be the same...and I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it. I pretty much accept people for who they are and for what they legally do.

I and many, many others just don't consider it hunting.
Again, you used a poor choice of words. If you would have said, I and many, many others just don't consider it sporting, I would have agreed. By definition, it is still hunting.

I'm sorry if that pisses you off and you don't feel good about shooting penned animals without the approval of people on the internet. But it's not my job to prop up your ego and make you feel like you have actually accomplished something.
You haven't pissed me off. I'm actually intrigued
by the notion and individual thought processes involving “hunting” as a competition. I'd love to sit down with you someday and gather information for a book. I'll split the royalities with you. And please, do not worry about my ego, you have enough on your competitive plate.

My family owns quite a lot of cattle. I could go shoot a cow everyday. But I wouldn't call it hunting or consider it much of an accomplishment however.
By definition, if you actively pursue a cow to kill it for food or sport, then it is hunting (if you desire to just kill it, it might be called a poor business decision.Then again, it might not). I certainly wouldn't call it sporting though. Nor would I care one way or another if you endeavored to do such a thing. It's your life...live it as you legally desire.

I could track down some ex NFL player who's now down on his luck and buy one of his game Jerseys. Would that mean I played in the NFL?
No

Hey what if he happened to be on a championship team and I bought his super bowl ring? Would that mean I was a super bowl champion? LOL!
No

In the mind of a pen hunter I guess it would.
Speculation...

He's just being intentionally obtuse.
Seriously Todd?

Topgun,

Why do you keep coming back with more and more BS scenarios that are nothing like we are talking about?
Really? Connect the dots.

If it's to increase your post count, you're doing a good job of it, but it appears that no matter what anyone posts on this thread you are going to object to it because it differs with yours.
Would you like to try that sentence again? I'm unclear as to what you are trying to say.

I'll extrapolate the best I can:

I'm not too worried about my post count, but thank you for the kind words.

It does matter what anyone posts on this thread. When the post is thoroughly convincing and well thought out, I congratulate the poster with a "I respect your opinion". Please do re-visit the post I made to SJAdventures. By the way, Terasec, your post was awesome as well.

Then you have the nerve to say: "you hunt your way and you let others hunt their way"!
And let me tell you, that took a lot of nerve!

The scenarios you keep presenting are not within a small confined space where the animal has "NO" possibility of escape.
NO, no they are not per se. You are partially right! The scenarios I presented were, to me, situations involving "canned shooting", or at least "unsportman like conduct" as described. They are/were tactics I would never employ as a hunter (again, connect the dots). On the other side of the coin, I am not going lay waste to the hunters who uses these tactic. Who am I to question? I do not wear their shoes....and there are way too many variables to consider.

I can effectively teach any person off the street to proficiently shoot a rifle in a matter of hours. In the first scenario I presented, a proficient shooter would leave zero room for a deer to escape. Where's the hunting aspect? If it's not hunting, then it's merely shooting. If the animal has no possiblity to escape (proficient shooter), then it's canned shooting.

I truly hope you make the leap.

All the others you mention are free ranging animals and, although some may be easier to hunt than others, they are still able to go wherever and whenever they choose, unlike "shooting" an animal in an escape-proof pen for a fee, which is what what we are talking about in this thread. Thus, it appears you just want to argue for arguments sake, rather than keeping the thread to it's original intent and focus.
Actually Topgun, the original poster made no reference to "an escape proof pen". He mentioned a high fenced operation that he believed was a section in size (that's 640 acres, by the way). He also asked for our opinions on the matter, which I gladly gave. Some of us said live and let live, some of us asked for more information and others belittled based upon aesthetic differences. I asked individuals to draw the line-make definitions. I was given a single subjective response, 'I know it when I see it' and a whole heap of speculation. As far as as intent and focus, I haven't veered. I am still giving my opinion...on high fence hunters

I've said all I will say and you can come up with some other goofy argument to justify this canned shooting, but it ain't gonna fly around here!!!
Who died and left you in charge?

IMHO these canned shoots are very detrimental to the future of legitimate hunting when those on the fence are shown videos of the slaughter and told that is what hunting is when they don't know any better. Those are the folks we need to worry about and not the small percentage of antis that are against everything!
Personally, I think the same could be said for the "outside the fence" supposed "fair chase hunters". I think it would be to all our best interest if we keep the videos (all videos showing the demise of animals) out of the public's eye. I also think it would be wise to drop the competitiveness of hunting maintained by so many. But hey, that's just me...Mr. Intentionally Obtuse.

highlonesome---No problem with what you are talking about when it's large acreage like is common down in Texas. The high fence place I used to hunt next to down in the brush country east of Freer was 30,000 acres and sure wasn't "canned" shooting like we are talking about on this thread.
So is 30,000 where you draw the line? A little heads up, they still won't be able to escape...nor will they be able to come and go where they please. Just saying...

And just for you Todd,

A little heads up, they still won't be able to escape...nor will they be able to come and go where they please.
Complete spectulation!

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 06-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Todd1700
I stated back in an earlier post that I don't think anyone here is talking about some huge ranch with one fence around the outside perimeter. Iamyourhuckleberry knows the kind of places we are talking about. He's just being intentionally obtuse.

I think Huck is trying to get additional definition of what some of you guys are discussing. 30,000 acres, some claim as "sure not canned hunting." Other guys seem to think that, regardless of size, it's a "pen." I think we can all agree that if the landowner ties a 200" buck to a tree and then opens it up to high bidders, that is different than 30,000 acres inside a high fence. The problem is, where do we draw lines, and should we draw lines, at points in between? What factors should be considered? Just acres? Terrain and available cover? Hunting style?

Here in Texas, the vast majority of deer hunting is done from box blinds stationed within a hundred yards or so of a feeder that operates on a solar powered battery and timer. That being the case, does it really change significantly if there is a high fence? Regardless, the "hunting" style is to sit and wait and hope that a "shooter buck" wanders into your field of view.

It seems that some here are speculating about what it's like behind a high fence. That's really all you can do if you have never done it. Speculate. So, you end up believing that it's a 100% guarantee. That the owners import genetics. That they hand feed the deer, and basically serve them up to the clients on a silver platter. That's not how it is in all cases, and I doubt that's the way it is in the vast majority of cases.

I've hunted both sides of the fence. As I said earlier, my first "deer hunt" was on a high fenced place in Central Texas that was part of a TPWD study prior to implementing antler restrictions in the contiguous 13 counties. I showed up on Friday afternoon, and we went for a drive around the ranch, roughly 500 acres of heavily wooded area, in the middle of what is known as the "Post Oak Savannah", with a few scattered food plots. We saw two deer, flags up, fleeing our Ford pickup truck. Next morning, we were in a blind, set up at the corner of a food plot (no timed feeders), and we waited. The deer eventually did what deer do. They left their bedding areas, came through the food plot, ate a little, and headed off toward a creek. The owner has been managing his place for the better part of 20 years, and has since taken a couple of 160-170 class deer off of it. No imported genetics. Age and food plots. And those deer act exactly like wild deer. They are not tame...

Since then, I've been hunting at a no-fence ranch in the Texas Hill Country. Essentially, the same scenario. Get in the blind early, sit and wait for deer to start wandering through the area. Hope that a big one comes through looking for food, or chasing a doe. Blinds and feeders is pretty much the only way to hunt on the 1500 acre ranch, with roughly 10-15 hunters every weekend... Too crowded for spot and stalk hunting. I suppose there are some who say that's not hunting either.

Nonetheless, it's hunting to me, and to most in Texas... And, I don't think that folks ought to be at each others' throats about it, suggesting that "my way of legal hunting is real hunting, and your way of legal hunting is really nothing more than going out and shooting a cow." To me, that reeks of being a pompous azz. What gives you the right to define hunting for anyone other than yourself?

To me, it's about getting out a 4 A.M., and seeing the stars, undiminished by the lights of the city. Listening to the birds as the sun breaks over the horizon. Watching the deer interact with each other. Does stomping, snorting, rearing on their hind legs and sparring each other. Young bucks, rapping their antlers together, practicing for fights over breeding rights. Getting your son into the woods to do something other than World of Warcraft. Shaking with anticipation after his shot at his first buck.

I suppose everyone is welcome to have their own opinion, but, if you haven't done it, it's nothing but speculation. You're relying on negative characterizations presented solely of the worst case scenario, presented by PETA, and/ or HSUS, the worst of the worst anti-hunting organizations. You're imagining what it's like, without any basis in reality. And, you are playing right into the anti's divide and conquer tactics... The pro-fence and anti-fence guys really ought to be allied, because to HSUS, it doesn't make ANY difference whether you're hunting 10 acres, 10,000 acres or a Million acres, with or without a fence. They want to stop it ALL. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves...

Last edited by ipscshooter; 06-21-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Todd says he's just being intentionally obtuse!!! I like it and he is now back with a lot more BS addressed to both of us that I'm not going to touch, LOL!!! This is one of those guys that will get the last word in any way he can and then will figure he won the debate or whatever you want to call it when people get tired of responding!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-21-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that's what I'm talking about. Nicely rationalized ipscshooter! Good on you lad!

He's just being intentionally obtuse!!! I like it, LOL!!!
For some reason I wouldn't expect anything less. Missed that jump, eh Top?

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 06-22-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i saw on tv the other day, Smithsonian i think, a canned hunt investigation...
now i know we have em here in texas, but we also have fenced hunts that are over 250 thousand acres, and its a lil more fair chase as compared to this investigation...
the investigation concluded that they are basically people raised deer, that are tranquilized so they are slower to run..they had animals that didnt even flinch from gunfire 20 yards from them.. a guide would go grab the ram and drag it out in front of the investigators (im para-phrasing) so they could shoot it. i aint down with this at all....although i havnt ventured there, the 250,000 acres is still a hike and the animals can/do run from you in there..its 1/2 the size of rhode island per say, not 50 fenced acres...alot different in my opinion, but it is fenced, and its only 3 or 4 hundred sq acres, not really that much, like real open range hunting.
but to each his own...i aint judging anyone....ok maybe i am, but im keepin it to myself.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

"Hunting" Definition - the act of a person or animal that hunts.

I searched many dictionaries before posting this. Anything more than this definition is merely your personal conditioning, and opinion.

Throughout the world there are many different means of harvesting game. There are many reasons that people have chosen to hunt the way they do for the harvesting of their game. Does this make one wrong over another? No. If the hunter in Africa is legally sitting in a special seat outside the jeep as they speed along, trying to get a shot at game, does this make it wrong? No. If a person can legally put out feed, plots, or licks, and hunt over them, does this make it wrong? No. If I physically carry a handicapped person to a blind and place them in a chair, does this make it wrong for them to hunt? No. But if you think about it, they are a canned hunter. They do it because it is legal and it fits their situation. many people think that crossbow hunting shouldn't be allowed. In many states it is only legal for handicapped, and it gives them more time out in the woods doing what they love. I could go on for pages and pages, I am sure, Covering all the different means of hunting that one person over the next may like or dislike. To what avail? If it is legal, then it is an allowed means of hunting.

There are many things that may seem unethical to many of us that love to hunt. But the truth is, that if it is a legal means to hunt in that area, then it is considered hunting. Because your personal conditioning and opinion leads you to think that a particular way of hunting is unethical, does not make it any less of a way of hunting.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
He's just being intentionally obtuse.
Seriously Todd?
Well I was choosing between intentionally obtuse or completely oblivious. I gave you the benefit of the doubt.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

But the truth is, that if it is a legal means to hunt in that area, then it is considered hunting.
But where is it written that I have to consider it hunting? The freedom to form your own opinion is really one of the only true freedoms you have. Think I'll hang on to mine.

If I or anybody else in this thread were advocating making this illegal then some of the counter points would be valid. But we aren't. So they are not.

And yank whatever Websters dictionary description of hunting out you want (it was probably written by a geeky bookworm that never hunted anyway). Furthermore there are numerous meanings to the word. I can hunt for a lost pen but I would hope we all understand that we are focusing on a specific use of the word here. I'd be willing to bet you, if asked, the vast majority of hunters in this country would not consider shooting a domesticated animal in a pen, hunting as the word applies to such endeavors.

To me the people who visit these places want a guaranteed outcome. And if you read the ads for them thats what most of them promise. And hell, I even understand the motivation of the people who run the places to try and make it a slam dunk easy kill. After all people who shell out thousands of dollars and go home empty handed often go home pissed and they typically don't come back. So it behooves the people who own these places to make sure horns go home in the back of every truck. But in real hunting there are no guaranteed outcomes. That's why they call it hunting. If the outcome were assured they would call it killing. Go down to the slaughter house and ask them what they are doing with the cows down there. See if anyone uses the word "hunting".

When you eliminate the posibility of failure, when you remove all the elements of chance, then how can you call it hunting with a straight face?

I once put a deer that had been hit by a car out of it's misery. It was busted all to hell and lying in the ditch unable to move but still alive. I took a pistol and shot it in the head. Was that a hunting trip? I guess by the rule espoused here that we can't say that "ANYTHING" involving a weapon and an animal isn't hunting I will have to henceforth refer to that event as a successful stalk hunt.

Lord have mercy.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Todd1700
But where is it written that I have to consider it hunting? The freedom to form your own opinion is really one of the only true freedoms you have. Think I'll hang on to mine.
You are certainly welcome to have the opinion that you don't want to do it. But, under the Tenth Amendment, each State has the right to define "hunting" within its borders. If what I do is legal hunting within my State as defined by the state wildlife agency, then, you are required to consider it "hunting" and it is inappropriate for you to rant for pages about something you've never experienced and that you know about only via assumptions, speculation and biased information filtered by anti hunting groups.

To paraphrase your thought... Where is it written that you have the right to tell someone else that they are "not hunting"? You are telling them that they have no freedom to form their own opinion... "Obtuse" seems to be a two way street here...

Last edited by ipscshooter; 06-21-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where is it written that you have the right to tell someone else that they are "not hunting"?
The Bill of Rights I believe. About half way through amendment Number 1. Of course it's their right not to listen to what I'm saying if they so choose.

Last edited by Todd1700; 06-22-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.