HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pen Raised Deer
Thread: Pen Raised Deer
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
iamyourhuckleberry
Nontypical Buck

Todd,

No where in all those quotes did you locate anywhere that I said people should be forced to stop doing this or that it should be made illegal. In fact I have 3 times now stated the exact opposite. So one last time, how am I trying to force anyone to hunt as I do?
Dude, you are the one that said "forced", not me. I simply stated you are bound and determined to have others hunt only in the way you do via your belittlements and spectulative inferences. If you would like for me to point them out again,I will.

You know what it seems like here. You seem like a major league pen hunter who's ego is being hurt by people who have a negative opinion of these places.
Spectulation...again, you haven't a clue.

But you can't admit that so you keep hurling this ridiculous and unfounded accusation that I am trying to force you to hunt like me.
I know exactly who I am, and I do not need to admit anything. I'm a person who isn't afraid to let others hunt the way they want; hunting is not a competition for me. I'm not worried about whether or not somebody else is "cheating", or if their buck is bigger than mine. I seriously doubt you could say the same.

I know for a fact I will never hunt like you, at least my motives won't be the same...and I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it. I pretty much accept people for who they are and for what they legally do.

I and many, many others just don't consider it hunting.
Again, you used a poor choice of words. If you would have said, I and many, many others just don't consider it sporting, I would have agreed. By definition, it is still hunting.

I'm sorry if that pisses you off and you don't feel good about shooting penned animals without the approval of people on the internet. But it's not my job to prop up your ego and make you feel like you have actually accomplished something.
You haven't pissed me off. I'm actually intrigued
by the notion and individual thought processes involving “hunting” as a competition. I'd love to sit down with you someday and gather information for a book. I'll split the royalities with you. And please, do not worry about my ego, you have enough on your competitive plate.

My family owns quite a lot of cattle. I could go shoot a cow everyday. But I wouldn't call it hunting or consider it much of an accomplishment however.
By definition, if you actively pursue a cow to kill it for food or sport, then it is hunting (if you desire to just kill it, it might be called a poor business decision.Then again, it might not). I certainly wouldn't call it sporting though. Nor would I care one way or another if you endeavored to do such a thing. It's your life...live it as you legally desire.

I could track down some ex NFL player who's now down on his luck and buy one of his game Jerseys. Would that mean I played in the NFL?
No

Hey what if he happened to be on a championship team and I bought his super bowl ring? Would that mean I was a super bowl champion? LOL!
No

In the mind of a pen hunter I guess it would.
Speculation...

He's just being intentionally obtuse.
Seriously Todd?

Topgun,

Why do you keep coming back with more and more BS scenarios that are nothing like we are talking about?
Really? Connect the dots.

If it's to increase your post count, you're doing a good job of it, but it appears that no matter what anyone posts on this thread you are going to object to it because it differs with yours.
Would you like to try that sentence again? I'm unclear as to what you are trying to say.

I'll extrapolate the best I can:

I'm not too worried about my post count, but thank you for the kind words.

It does matter what anyone posts on this thread. When the post is thoroughly convincing and well thought out, I congratulate the poster with a "I respect your opinion". Please do re-visit the post I made to SJAdventures. By the way, Terasec, your post was awesome as well.

Then you have the nerve to say: "you hunt your way and you let others hunt their way"!
And let me tell you, that took a lot of nerve!

The scenarios you keep presenting are not within a small confined space where the animal has "NO" possibility of escape.
NO, no they are not per se. You are partially right! The scenarios I presented were, to me, situations involving "canned shooting", or at least "unsportman like conduct" as described. They are/were tactics I would never employ as a hunter (again, connect the dots). On the other side of the coin, I am not going lay waste to the hunters who uses these tactic. Who am I to question? I do not wear their shoes....and there are way too many variables to consider.

I can effectively teach any person off the street to proficiently shoot a rifle in a matter of hours. In the first scenario I presented, a proficient shooter would leave zero room for a deer to escape. Where's the hunting aspect? If it's not hunting, then it's merely shooting. If the animal has no possiblity to escape (proficient shooter), then it's canned shooting.

I truly hope you make the leap.

All the others you mention are free ranging animals and, although some may be easier to hunt than others, they are still able to go wherever and whenever they choose, unlike "shooting" an animal in an escape-proof pen for a fee, which is what what we are talking about in this thread. Thus, it appears you just want to argue for arguments sake, rather than keeping the thread to it's original intent and focus.
Actually Topgun, the original poster made no reference to "an escape proof pen". He mentioned a high fenced operation that he believed was a section in size (that's 640 acres, by the way). He also asked for our opinions on the matter, which I gladly gave. Some of us said live and let live, some of us asked for more information and others belittled based upon aesthetic differences. I asked individuals to draw the line-make definitions. I was given a single subjective response, 'I know it when I see it' and a whole heap of speculation. As far as as intent and focus, I haven't veered. I am still giving my opinion...on high fence hunters

I've said all I will say and you can come up with some other goofy argument to justify this canned shooting, but it ain't gonna fly around here!!!
Who died and left you in charge?

IMHO these canned shoots are very detrimental to the future of legitimate hunting when those on the fence are shown videos of the slaughter and told that is what hunting is when they don't know any better. Those are the folks we need to worry about and not the small percentage of antis that are against everything!
Personally, I think the same could be said for the "outside the fence" supposed "fair chase hunters". I think it would be to all our best interest if we keep the videos (all videos showing the demise of animals) out of the public's eye. I also think it would be wise to drop the competitiveness of hunting maintained by so many. But hey, that's just me...Mr. Intentionally Obtuse.

highlonesome---No problem with what you are talking about when it's large acreage like is common down in Texas. The high fence place I used to hunt next to down in the brush country east of Freer was 30,000 acres and sure wasn't "canned" shooting like we are talking about on this thread.
So is 30,000 where you draw the line? A little heads up, they still won't be able to escape...nor will they be able to come and go where they please. Just saying...

And just for you Todd,

A little heads up, they still won't be able to escape...nor will they be able to come and go where they please.
Complete spectulation!

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 06-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.