Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What have we become?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
Yep. And Daniel Boone didn't have competition from several other hunters per square mile of land. Hunting today is far different from the old days in large part due to the huge amount of hunting pressure on most lands. The guys that try to compare hunting today to the way the old timers did it usually miss that point. The animals react differently where they're heavily pressured, and I don't think ol' Dan Boone had to deal with the intense pressure we face today.
Yep an Ole Daniel didn't drive to his hunting spot in his 4x4 either.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I would not say that everyone has been affected. Most of the fellars I hunt with still keep it simple and do not use all the gadgets and scents. This time of year a good pair of Carhart bibs (no camo) and a good jacket and gloves is about it. Country boys keep it simple. Heck, I dont even like watching all the dang hunting shows that are out there. Gets you burnt out before hunting season even gets started. I do understand what you are saying and agree that there is a lot of commercial nonsense out there.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Still hunt with a compass?!? No need to get fancy, I still hunt without a compass. And I don't use one of those fancy recurves with all their laminating processes and high-luster pretty wood finishes, I just use a good ol' fashion compound bow in matte black, just like the cave men used to use.

I usually wear wrangler jeans underneath my hunting pants. For my upper layer, I wear as many layers of cotton as are necessary. That fancy under armor stuff wicks away all your moisture, but if I ever get in a real bind I can wring out my cotton garmets and recycle the moisture for hydration!

For head gear I usually wear the same camo hat that I wear to tailgates and camping trips. Instead of smelling like a human, this cap disguises my scent with the smell of campfire.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

"No one loves this country more than I do, but honestly, we're becoming a nation of woosies" PA Gov. Ed Rendell

Truer words were never spoken !!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

While I don't by into everything that comes out on the market, I would say that the winter clothing is a very marked improvement from that of 30+ years ago.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Definition of Irony

We are all complaining about technologies and widgets with people accross the U.S. ... The globe for that matter via low and behold technology called the Internet ... Interesting..
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

Why take the chance of the old type of clothing ruin your hunt if you can afford to buy the new technology.No one here can tell me that gore-tex or thinsulate isnt a vast improvement.The footware alone makes it so much easier to get around.Less weight and warmer more comfort no brainer.The rain gear is more comfortable and wicks away moisture way better than the old.Stay dryer,stay warmer,in comfort no brainer.If you dont need to fight the elements any will do.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I started hunting 20 years ago. I was poor and used what I could scrounge. over the years I have bought and been given some nicer stuff but still pretty much stick to basics. Grab your gear and get in the woods.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have enjoyed this post also…But I still believe the products that have time under there belt have and will continue to last…Things like wool outer garments will always work well. It’s funny when you hunt in the north woods most everyone is in the same gear…in time tested apparel wonder why???
I still hunt and shot 99% of my deer in the neck with my feet under me. Fanny sack sammich, thermos, extra socks, small candle, matches, knife and a candy bar Sure I will keep the GPS as backup and I will continue to use a Leopold as always but the rest of the gear will be the good old stuff…that includes the compass!

Stonewall >>>> I think you made an error >>>cavemen did not use compounds
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Spike

I for one, am thankful for the advances in outdoor gear as I am one of those unfortunate few who can't wear wool. As soon as I put on anything made of wool, it feels like I have a million needles penetrating my skin and the longer I leave it on, the worse it gets.

As far as all the other stuff on the shelves these days, some of it is good, but a lot of it is marketed to yuppies who want to buy their way to proficiency rather than work for it. As a favor, I take a few of my wife's yuppie friends fishing once in a while and am sometimes shocked at their pricey equipment and monster tackle boxes crammed full of lures, fish scents, etc.. Of course everyone of them can be easily out-fished by a farm boy using his dad's Zebco 33.

OK, my rant is over and maybe I got a little off topic, but I must say that I feel much better now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.