Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Home-made cover scents?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Terpentine Question...

Here's the deal..{ -; Where I hunt at loggers use to cut down and remove alot of pine trees..so the terpentine would make a nice natural cover scent ..

Harmful..could be..mine is in my truck cab and is rather strong ..even with the cap on..no wonder I've been hallucinating lately..LOL

from reading your reply I will put it in the back of the truck..I have a cap.

Applying..it's very strong so I personally put it on my rubber boots going in..main reason..for when I'm sitting in the tree the odor will work as a cover scent {let it be known..I'm nowhere near as expereinced as 50% on here ..so all of this could be wrong} I put very little on my clothes..

Summary..I only use this once in a while...I will use it Monday as the wind is not in my favor.When the wind is in my favor I use nothing...
Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amazing how many think it is possible to hide or cover their scent from a deer - it's not. They simply smell the earth water, turpentine, skunk AND the human scent. They have the ability to detect and process many oders at the same time. Save your money and your own nose.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Amazing how many think it is possible to hide or cover their scent from a deer - it's not. They simply smell the earth water, turpentine, skunk AND the human scent. They have the ability to detect and process many oders at the same time. Save your money and your own nose.
As much as most hunters hate to admit it or come to the realization of it. The words of Steve B are sadly true. If ANYTHING was going to cover our scent it would be those big ol' woods we hunt in. From the dirt, the leaves, the acorns, the pinetrees, ect. Surely the big ol' woods or nearby cornfeild is going to let out far more scent than a couple hunters. But year to year, hunters are busted by deer, and the deer usually live to fight another day. Deer are incredible animals, they can decypher one scent from another when many scents are present. They can and will pick your scent out from the pine trees around you. Thats why I feel hunting the wind and good scent elimination is key. I also make my own cover scents, but I make about 6-10 gallons for around 7 dollars. I also like to make my own curiosity scents too. I would not go out spending hundreds of dollars on cover scents in the store. And though I feel its next to impossible to mask our human oder. I do enjoy making my own scent elimination tincture and then covering myself up with a homemade cover scent. But hey, what do I know? I have been busted by deer when they haven't been down wind of me and I have been busted by deer that have gotten down wind of me. But I will also say that I have had deer go down wind of me and didn't smell me....MANY TIMES. Why , I dont know? It probally had more to do with my homemade scent eliminator than it did from the cover scent. I feel for the price of 6 or 7 bucks that it cost me to make my own cover scent, " Why not put some on." It sure wont hurt, it dont cost much, it last about 6-7 years, and we as hunters need all the help we can get, so why not. But to put it simply, hunt the wind, use good scent elimination and don't spend lots of money at store for cover scents. If you can make yourself a good cover scent for next to nothing, do it. Alot of guys will say that even though I don't spend much, that I am waisting my time. Those are also the guys that usually end up watching me pull up with my tailgate down and wishing that they might have invested a little more time toward hunting deer, wether it be scouting, hanging stands, or making their own scents. God bless and to each his own opinions.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I've only been busted once that I know of because of scent..my other times were movement...

The scent one..no doubt..I was in a climber...the tree was so big the entire tree concealed me..The biggest FL buck I've ever seen came out on a "can" call..He walked within 20 yds..sTOPPED and Stomped his hoffs into the ground..waited about 5 seconds and split.

The other times.very poor stand placement on my part..to close to the game trail..deer walked right up on me before I realized it.

I don't believe in scents myself..would never buy any..and generally hunt th ewind..HOWEVER..if I meet someone in my area that is scoring consistently I will ask them what they are doing..all that I have asked use cover scent
Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
As much as most hunters hate to admit it or come to the realization of it. The words of Steve B are sadly true. If ANYTHING was going to cover our scent it would be those big ol' woods we hunt in. From the dirt, the leaves, the acorns, the pinetrees, ect. Surely the big ol' woods or nearby cornfeild is going to let out far more scent than a couple hunters. But year to year, hunters are busted by deer, and the deer usually live to fight another day. Deer are incredible animals, they can decypher one scent from another when many scents are present. They can and will pick your scent out from the pine trees around you. Thats why I feel hunting the wind and good scent elimination is key. I also make my own cover scents, but I make about 6-10 gallons for around 7 dollars. I also like to make my own curiosity scents too. I would not go out spending hundreds of dollars on cover scents in the store. And though I feel its next to impossible to mask our human oder. I do enjoy making my own scent elimination tincture and then covering myself up with a homemade cover scent. But hey, what do I know? I have been busted by deer when they haven't been down wind of me and I have been busted by deer that have gotten down wind of me. But I will also say that I have had deer go down wind of me and didn't smell me....MANY TIMES. Why , I dont know? It probally had more to do with my homemade scent eliminator than it did from the cover scent. I feel for the price of 6 or 7 bucks that it cost me to make my own cover scent, " Why not put some on." It sure wont hurt, it dont cost much, it last about 6-7 years, and we as hunters need all the help we can get, so why not. But to put it simply, hunt the wind, use good scent elimination and don't spend lots of money at store for cover scents. If you can make yourself a good cover scent for next to nothing, do it. Alot of guys will say that even though I don't spend much, that I am waisting my time. Those are also the guys that usually end up watching me pull up with my tailgate down and wishing that they might have invested a little more time toward hunting deer, wether it be scouting, hanging stands, or making their own scents. God bless and to each his own opinions.
Mind sharing some of those recipes friend??????
Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Spike

Hydrogin Peroxide, Baking Soda, Soapy Water.

The Peroxide kills bacteria, Baking soda neutralizes scent, and the soapy water is so the more you sweat/produce odors it keeps fighting it.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

You nailed it titan!

Originally Posted by titan23_87

The Peroxide kills bacteria, Baking soda neutralizes scent, and the soapy water is so the more you sweat/produce odors it keeps fighting it.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by titan23_87

that is all i use but mostly play the wind.
There is no such thing as cover scent. you are just adding other scents to your smell. Its like taking a poop then spraying an air freshner. All you get is lilac and poop smell
Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
One way is, to go where you are hunting.
Pick up a large trash bag fuff of leaves.
Then take them home, and put them in a very large pot, fill with water.
A boil for a couple hours.
Then when it has colled off strain the water out of the pot.
And you have a cover scent that smells like the woods you are hunting.

Have you done this or did you just hear about it?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Fork Horn

I read in some forum that a very sucessful hunter uses vanilla extract. Makes as much sense as some of that crap they sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.