Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Home-made cover scents?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Home-made cover scents?

Anybody know how to make an effective home-made cover scent? I ran out today and dont feel like drivin to walmart haha. Also, it could save me a good amount of money down the road

Last edited by llpaintball; 12-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Spike

I thought this thread offered a homemade cover scent, not a request for cover scents.

Maybe a "?" in the title.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

yea youre right. sorry about that
Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want a scent reducer or a cover scent?
2 entirely different things - and only one works.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

yeah..I have one ..Buy a can of turpentine..Turpentine is made from pine trees..It's what I use.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
yeah..I have one ..Buy a can of turpentine..Turpentine is made from pine trees..It's what I use.
Chuck, I started using this back in the 80's...

Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Neat Reb...I got the turpentine idea from the guy who makes his own Dixie shotgun slugs on the South forum one day..

it was kind of hard to find as most hardware stores only carry mineral spirits..Lowes also carries Turpentine..so I keep a can in the truck..I should use it more..as I'm not much on cover senses..Ray from the religious forum is in charge of a hunt club.One of his rules..YOU MUST USE COVER SCENTS..so maybe I better start applying the turpentine..I thought hunting the wind directions was good enough..but Ray and many others { including yourself} are pros on here..I'm still in the learning mode { -;
Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

I never tried the turpentine method. You have both had success with it? Do you just put it on your boots and around your stand? or do you put it on your clothes and your skin and up by your face too? The only reason I ask is that turpentine seems to be a pretty harsh chemical that is also flamable. It should also not be inhaled, or put on the skin because human skin actually absorbs turpentine and it could get into your blood stream and that can cause alot of negative reactions to your health. The only reason I know this is because I do oil painting too as a hobby and have heard stories and experienced some mishaps myself. Fainting, heart palpitations, even coma can be a result of blood contaminated with high concentrations of turpentine. I assume you guys dont put it on your skin or up by your face because you are still alive and responding to the posts. Its just a question, I am not trying to be critical of your methods. Its just a method that I have never tried in my own ventures of homemade scent making, so im curious?

Last edited by OldBuckstalker1187; 12-18-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

what bout dirt in and water shooken together
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

One way is, to go where you are hunting.
Pick up a large trash bag fuff of leaves.
Then take them home, and put them in a very large pot, fill with water.
A boil for a couple hours.
Then when it has colled off strain the water out of the pot.
And you have a cover scent that smells like the woods you are hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.