HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Home-made cover scents?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
lswoody
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
As much as most hunters hate to admit it or come to the realization of it. The words of Steve B are sadly true. If ANYTHING was going to cover our scent it would be those big ol' woods we hunt in. From the dirt, the leaves, the acorns, the pinetrees, ect. Surely the big ol' woods or nearby cornfeild is going to let out far more scent than a couple hunters. But year to year, hunters are busted by deer, and the deer usually live to fight another day. Deer are incredible animals, they can decypher one scent from another when many scents are present. They can and will pick your scent out from the pine trees around you. Thats why I feel hunting the wind and good scent elimination is key. I also make my own cover scents, but I make about 6-10 gallons for around 7 dollars. I also like to make my own curiosity scents too. I would not go out spending hundreds of dollars on cover scents in the store. And though I feel its next to impossible to mask our human oder. I do enjoy making my own scent elimination tincture and then covering myself up with a homemade cover scent. But hey, what do I know? I have been busted by deer when they haven't been down wind of me and I have been busted by deer that have gotten down wind of me. But I will also say that I have had deer go down wind of me and didn't smell me....MANY TIMES. Why , I dont know? It probally had more to do with my homemade scent eliminator than it did from the cover scent. I feel for the price of 6 or 7 bucks that it cost me to make my own cover scent, " Why not put some on." It sure wont hurt, it dont cost much, it last about 6-7 years, and we as hunters need all the help we can get, so why not. But to put it simply, hunt the wind, use good scent elimination and don't spend lots of money at store for cover scents. If you can make yourself a good cover scent for next to nothing, do it. Alot of guys will say that even though I don't spend much, that I am waisting my time. Those are also the guys that usually end up watching me pull up with my tailgate down and wishing that they might have invested a little more time toward hunting deer, wether it be scouting, hanging stands, or making their own scents. God bless and to each his own opinions.
Mind sharing some of those recipes friend??????