Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun Deer Only

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Monster from Catskill, NY

My son's first hunt with dad in Catskill, NY.

125 class 8 pointer, 305 pound Bully Buck.
No scars on this Gray Ghost.

I don't have to go to Saskatchewan now.
Check one off the bucket list!
Attached Thumbnails Gun Deer Only-dsc02249half.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Spike

Opening morning michigan 10. Shot at 75ish yds with my H&R Ultra Slug.
Attached Thumbnails Gun Deer Only-2012-11-15-22.11.23.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got up at 3:00 A.M. on opening day because I wanted to be in the stand plenty early. I showered and loaded up the truck and was heading out the driveway at 3:40. Just before I got to camp I saw a dandy 10 or 12 standing on the road. At first he come running right at my truck and then he slipped and ran into the woods. Besides the near miss I had a feeling it was going to be a good day after seeing the big boy.
So I arrived at camp at 4:00, loaded up my four wheeler, changed into my hunting clothes and drove my quad a 1/2 mile to the start of the county land. I loaded all my stuff onto my homemade deer cart and I hiked another 1/2 mile to my stand. By the time I ran a drag line, hung out the scent, put the rest of my clothes on, climbed to my stand (which is 30' up), pull my guns and pack up, and am finally settled in it was like 6:00. I was hoping to be in there earlier but that's the way it went. I was settled in 1/2 hour before first light.
So I sat there for only about 10minutes and heard a deer blowing straight in front of me quite a ways away. I hoped they weren't blowing at me. Nope they weren't because minutes later I heard them run/walk into the grass that I am overlooking from my stand. As soon as they got into the grass I heard grunting and immediately new there was a buck and most likely he was tending a doe. I was just hoping they would still be in the grass when it got light enough to see.
It was getting lighter by the minute but it seemed like hours because every once in awhile you could hear movement but still couldn't see anything. It finally got just light enough to make out a deer as it walked straight towards me. I looked through the scope and could barely see him because my scope was fogged up. I wiped off my scope and then I could see he had a decent rack so I got the crosshairs on him and when he turned broadside, I shot. He bounded off and I couldn't tell if I got him. Everything was quiet. When it got a little lighter I saw a small clump of something down in the direction he ran but I looked through my rifle scope, my muzzleloader scope and even my binoculars and still could'nt tell it was a part of a deer, I thought it was just a clump of weeds.
I just sat tight listening for movement. Then I heard the grass rustling and out steps the doe from behind a clump of tag alders. She took about 10 steps and stopped. She was looking for her lover. She walked off a little farther but I could still see her. She stood there for a long time and then all of the sudden I heard the brush crack and she took off like a bat out of hell. And then the circus began. From out of nowhere 5 or 6 bucks busted out of the brush all at the same time. They all took off after her.
But then as I was watching a real nice buck just walks out right from where I thought the one I shot at ran in. I said to myself, "I either didn't hit him good or I missed all together". So he walks out there and stopped broad side. I had my crosshairs on his shoulder when he stopped. I squeezed off the trigger and he dropped in his tracks.
So meanwhile the other bucks are still chasing her around and finally I saw her standing broadside about 120 yards away. I decided to take her for two reasons. #1. I have a doe tag and an empty freezer and #2. I was told if you shoot a hot doe, take her back to your stand and you will see more bucks than ever before.
After shooting the doe I decided I better get down, I was excited to see how big my buck was and I had to see if I hit the doe. I got down and I was looking for blood where I fired the first shot and I didn't find any blood so I kept walking to where I saw him drop in his tracks and I found him laying there. He is the biggest buck I ever shot. I admired him for a minute counting 10 points and then I figured I better go look again for blood to see if he was hit. I walked another 10 yards and saw antlers sticking up out of the grass. That clump I saw was actually the rump of this deer which turns out is an eleven pointer. At this point I really couldn't believe what just happened and I went to see if I got the doe. I found blood where I shot the doe and then found her piled up about 40yards away. I went to get my buddy so he could take some pictures for me. We got the pictures taken and I told him to sit in my stand while I went to town and bought another doe tag. He didn't see anything after that.
This is my 23rd year of deer hunting and it was definitely the most exciting opener I ever had.

FINALLY THE MOMENT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!

This was the first shot (11 point)

This was the second shot. (10 pointer) It turns out that these two were shot less than an hour apart and fell only 28 yards apart.

Another view of the 10.

Here's the doe. She dressed out at 125#.

The 11

The 10

The 10 dressed out at 175#. He didn't have any fat on him whatsoever.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I figured my good luck would have ended but it turns out Thanksgiving morning was very giving to me. I never shot a deer with my muzzleloader and I have had it for probably close to 10 years now, well I no more than sat down and this guy ran down the hill, crossed a small slough and stopped broadside in the grassy river bottom. His vitals were directly behind a tree so all I had was a neck shot. I figured why not try it. I had my 30-06 with just in case I missed. I shot and after the smoke cleared he laid there.
I think the last time I got this excited was my first year of hunting, I was 12 and I can still remember my leg shaking uncontrolably while I tried to harvest those first deer. This is my 23rd year and that was cool to get that feeling back again.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Geez.....all excellent deer. How many bucks can you shoot in our state??
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Wow all great bucks buckchaser and a great story, looks like you had a great hunting season, thats what its all about. Congrats!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohboy
Wow all great bucks buckchaser and a great story, looks like you had a great hunting season, thats what its all about. Congrats!
Thanks a lot! It will definitely be tough to top.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Geez.....all excellent deer. How many bucks can you shoot in our state??
As long as someone in your hunting party has a tag you can legally help them fill it. I think they need to be in hearing distance but don't quote me on it. In a regular unit each individual gets one buck tag.

Last edited by WIbuckchaser; 11-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Both 8 points, quite a difference.

Opening Day of WV:

Opening Day of PA, my biggest buck so far:

Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a dandy 8pt. Brent! Congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.