Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guilty Feelings

Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
I guess I'm one of them. This post was directed at me and seems to be snowballing. In case you didn't see my original reply it was directed at a young man deciding if he wanted to hunt with a bow. I have neve participated in an argument on this board and have no plans to now.

Ks, in looking back at some of your posts you Sir come off as somewhat derogatory
in nature. While no expert, my trade has taught me I need to look at other points before making an informed decision. I don't feel you have given me this consideration.

Are you folks telling me when you make a bad shot, and we ALL have or will sometime in our hunts, you don't feel the least bit of compasion? Just for a fleeting instant? I find that to be somwhat baffling but also dissettling. I would think basic human nature would prevail.

The first deer I ever killed I spine shot and had to use a second arrow to do what I had so poorly attempted to do. In that brief few seconds I did feel guilt. Not overwhelming but some for a fleeting second. I think if we look back at our first kill you might see the same thing to varing degrees.

With that being said I am done with this subject. I've been a member here for several years and don't agree with some folks and I'm sure they don't see everything my way either. That's what places such as our beloved forum are for.

I made the above statments and will steadfastly stand behind them because I beleve in my values. Life is a gift from God. As for being campaired to wolves, I wish not to be lumped into the catagory because I am human and have a consious and abillity to reason.

I truley wish each and every one of you a safe season and sucessfull season indifferant of your stance on this topic. I do respect both sides but wanted to explain why I feel the way I do.

Shane
Sprint you are a little uptight. I never directed this thread toward any one. You are certainly not the only one I've seen on this forum say they have had the same feelings as you. I also do not believe that I have been "derogatory" toward you or anyone else. I do not know why you are taking this thread personally. Must be your feelings of guilt. As far as wolves being a reasoning hunter apparently you have never seen them hunt as a team! Team work involves some kind of reasoning. Still I wish you a great season too in the most un-derogatory way.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Doug, no I haven't seen wolves hunt as there are none in my neck of the woods. I felt like it was directed my way because you quoted several statments I made to the young hunter.

Anyway, just wanted to be clear about where I stood.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
Doug, no I haven't seen wolves hunt as there are none in my neck of the woods. I felt like it was directed my way because you quoted several statments I made to the young hunter.

Anyway, just wanted to be clear about where I stood.

Thanks,
Shane
Sprint when I was telling Kystalker "Some people just don't get it"
I was talking about the wolf thing and how they hunt. Sorry you had such a bad experience on your first deer kill. But I bet your hunting experiences have improved since then. Like I said in my first reply this thread was not started for fighting rather trying to understand. I guess if my deer hunting experience had started off like yours iI would be feeling guilty too. Guilty that I wasn't a better dam shot!
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

I rest my case. You have just helped me to prove my point. I have noticed you are doing some videos and a website. I have worked in this industry for many years and offer this advice. If you continue to divide a population of hunter and use profanity you will always be exactly where you are now. If you are ok with that, you may continue, I however will refrain from posting to this conversation because I have made my case and you have had to resort to profanity and attacking my shooting skills? I sir am done.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

@ OP,

I get that sic feeling in the pit of my tummy also, even after a clean kill. Mostly I figure its just that I don't get to take that many deer. Usually just one deer is all I get to kill because of the rules at Dads hunting place. We don't own it and we don't pay but Dad is kinda in charge so.
Turkeys I kinda don't, its usually "YESSSS WE DID IT" kinda feeling cause our shot guns are really old and suck and these turkeys see a lot of hunters.
Squirrels not at all. After shooting them off the bird feeders Its more of a "good riddance you dang tree rat!"

Thats usually all I hunt though. Why do you all think we git this sick feeling deep down inside? Its so odd.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Hey! Even better! I just found the ignore button! LOL! Post away.... I'll never have to see or put up with it any more.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen nothing on this thread posted by kswild that would offend or divide hunters unless they CHOOSE to be offended. Just giving his honest opinion. Makes a far better discussion/debate then just a pc group hug.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe instead of 'guilt', the word you are searching for is 'respect'? Native Americans typically pay the animal respect for giving up its life for our sport and food, so perhaps your thinking is in line with that? Personally, I feel no guilt for killing an animal, but I do respect them for their cunning and ability to thrive in their environment. Some guys (not directed at anyone specifically in this thread, before it's taken that way) see animals as merely meat. So be it. Others respect them for what they are. IMO that respect ensures that I always go the extra mile to make a clean kill. If I saw it purely as 'meat' I probably wouldn't be as careful.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
Maybe instead of 'guilt', the word you are searching for is 'respect'? Native Americans typically pay the animal respect for giving up its life for our sport and food, so perhaps your thinking is in line with that? Personally, I feel no guilt for killing an animal, but I do respect them for their cunning and ability to thrive in their environment. Some guys (not directed at anyone specifically in this thread, before it's taken that way) see animals as merely meat. So be it. Others respect them for what they are. IMO that respect ensures that I always go the extra mile to make a clean kill. If I saw it purely as 'meat' I probably wouldn't be as careful.
Well said. I too respect the deer for being a cunning prey. They have awesome senses, many times that above us humans. We have been slowly drifting away from our past and nature, and as a whole are not as in tune with mother nature as we once were. I for one try to return to the ways of the past and not be so modernized Some don't remember all of our ancestors lived in a cave. Killing to eat was the only way to survive. Now because you can go to the store and buy a steak doesn't mean the killing has stopped, it just means someone else is doing the killing for you.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
I've seen nothing on this thread posted by kswild that would offend or divide hunters unless they CHOOSE to be offended. Just giving his honest opinion. Makes a far better discussion/debate then just a pc group hug.
Thank you! I did not think I said anything to try to divide or offend our community of hunters of which I am a proud member. Some people are offended by their own actions it would appear. Thanks again for the support!
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.