Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guilty Feelings

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
I don't buy this argument. As a forester, I see firsthand the difference between forested areas and developed areas (including agriculture). The deer densities are far higher near edges than in undeveloped forest. Deer are generalists, and thrive where people live in all but the most urbanized environments.

Where I do agree with you is that development reduces opportunities for hunting because a lot of land is locked up out of reach of the average hunter. That's not the same as reduced deer habitat, however.
Respect your opinion, but we should probably look at this in a location sense. What I am referring to is what I'm witnessing in regards to the change in my state's regulations. My opinion is based on what I'm surrounded with & what I witness. Things may be different for you...
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by phil_pick
So let me get this straight. Taking a life has no impact on you at all except for "Whoo hoo???" I am sorry but I feel something when I take a life. Yes its an animal. Its "just" a deer but it was alive and because of me it is now dead. That is humbling and sobering. I like the Native American analogy of paying respect. I believe that God game us dominion over all the animals on the earth so I see nothing wrong with ethically harvesting an animal but I find it almost sad that you can kill something and not feel it at all. Just my opinion.
And please, no one here kills to survive. You can not honestly, with a hand on the bible, tell me that you would die of starvation if you didn't hunt. I love hunting with my entire being but it is a sport.
I learned to hunt when I was young because we had to, yes we had to hunt or starve, no sport about it! Today, i might not starve, but I can tell you that we eat a heck of a lot more meat in our house because we hunt. I take out the first 2 doe's I see every year, so there is meat in the freezer. I won't tag a buck unless he is mature, but that is not sport that is being selective. By hunting it keeps a lot more money in my families pocket to use elsewhere. There have been years that if we didn't hunt we would have been on welfare. With that said, I don't want to hear that "it's a sport" crap. God put animals on this earth for us to eat, so I am a Predator that says Whoo Hoo, set the table Babe, back straps for dinner.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
I understand we all have a personal feeling about this subject. Count me as one who truly feels sad when the life of the deer I have been watching and hunting is suddenly ended. Yes, I feel sad the moment I walk over to that deer. I also understand for me to be a successful hunter, a life must be taken.

This takes nothing away from me as a dedciated hunter. I experience the excitement of the hunt, the joy knowing I have been successful while sharing all this with my hunting friends. I have the right to experience all the feelings of the hunt which includes those few personal moments.
+1, well said. I don't understand what the arguement is about. Everyone SHOULD have their own feelings/experiences while hunting... If I didn't I wouldn't hunt. Good luck this season, and however you feel after you kill one, the important thing is you got one and had a good time...