HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Guilty Feelings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/329575-guilty-feelings.html)

kswild 09-11-2010 09:56 PM

Guilty Feelings

I started this thread because I didn't want hijack someone elses. I do not get the guilty feeling thing after shooting a deer. I'm not putting any one down for what they experience. Do you think a wolf feels guilty after killing a deer or a tiger after killing a water buffalo? We as hunters are only doing what we have done for thousands of years. The only difference is we have gotten better at it. I want to say I have never had even the most remote feeling of guilt ever. I can think of a lot of things that a man could feel guilty about.... killing a deer for food is not one of them. I think the people who feel guilt is because they ENJOY killing a deer. It's the pleasure that makes them feel guilty. You certainly wouldn't get "PUMPED" as some have said doing something you don't like to do....Would you? Just my humble opinion. It is right to celebrate the harvest not to feel guilty.
Live it up! Doug

sprintflyer 09-11-2010 10:43 PM

I think you might have misunderstood or maybe I mis spoke. I need to re read my post I guess. I don't feel anything near shame or sorry for killing a dear and it most certainly isn't the joy of the killing to be pumped about but when I lose that excitement after a hunt then I'll quit. I'm "pumped" because I have been sucessfull in an endevor which I put alot of time and resources into.

As for the tiny bit of guilt. I guess guilt may not have been the best choice of words but I do feel somthing. Not sure what you call it. After all, I did just end another creatures life all be it to sustain my own. When that goes away I think I might quit then as well. I think it has something to do with being a pet owner and raising horses. I respect everthing God breathes life into and it just makes since to me as I see it. I have read many hunters post on this very subject and some see it my way and some yours. It dosen't make either of us wrong. Just differant.

Best of luck to you this year.

StealthHtr22 09-11-2010 10:51 PM

Now we're comparing hunters to wolves??? Really...

kswild 09-11-2010 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22 (Post 3680446)
Now we're comparing hunters to wolves??? Really...

What do they both have in common???? They Hunt.
Live it up! Doug

kswild 09-11-2010 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by sprintflyer (Post 3680445)
I think you might have misunderstood or maybe I mis spoke. I need to re read my post I guess. I don't feel anything near shame or sorry for killing a dear and it most certainly isn't the joy of the killing to be pumped about but when I lose that excitement after a hunt then I'll quit. I'm "pumped" because I have been sucessfull in an endevor which I put alot of time and resources into.

As for the tiny bit of guilt. I guess guilt may not have been the best choice of words but I do feel somthing. Not sure what you call it. After all, I did just end another creatures life all be it to sustain my own. When that goes away I think I might quit then as well. I think it has something to do with being a pet owner and raising horses. I respect everthing God breathes life into and it just makes since to me as I see it. I have read many hunters post on this very subject and some see it my way and some yours. It dosen't make either of us wrong. Just differant.

Best of luck to you this year.

I certainly respect your opinion. Best of luck to you as well! Because I eat, I hunt! I do not feel guilty about eating so neither do I feel guilty about hunting.
Live it up! Doug
Live it up!

StealthHtr22 09-11-2010 11:07 PM

Yeah I understand your point, just not the analogy I would have used...IMO.

kswild 09-11-2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22 (Post 3680451)
Yeah I understand your point, just not the analogy I would have used...IMO.

Speaking of analogy.... What does the last sentence in your signature mean????
Live it up! Doug

sprintflyer 09-11-2010 11:20 PM

And I respect yours as well. So glad we can just agree to disagree and not turn it into one of the bash fests that divide hunters.

sprintflyer 09-11-2010 11:22 PM

IMO? It means "in my opinion" if that's the question.

kswild 09-11-2010 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by sprintflyer (Post 3680455)
And I respect yours as well. So glad we can just agree to disagree and not turn it into one of the bash fests that divide hunters.

Same here! This was not an attempt to fight, rather understand.
Live it up! Doug