Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever regretted killing a deer? >

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
You are simply projecting your feelings on others - and insulting them by saying if they don't feel as you do, they are not responsible hunters and something is wrong with them. Nothing wrong with sharing how you feel, but don't judge others for feeling differently.

The day I start feeling sadness, regret or remorse after killing any animal, will be the last day I hunt. For me, those are negative emotions and I will not seek negativity. I demonstrated my respect by striving for a clean quick kill.
You don't even feel the slightest remorse after killing a deer? How in the world is respecting your quarry negative. I'm excited when I kill a deer, but I also have enough respect to feel for taking a beautiful animal, but not to the point to where it would end hunting for me. To each his own though. Sorry I offended you.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Squeeze, gut, eat.

There are no tissues in my backpack!

Don't feel bad if you wack a yearling doe. It still keeps the population in check and is darn good table fare.

bb
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I've ended the life of probably as many animals as anyone, there is always a feeling that I get, whether it be a deer, a bear, or a squirrel, call it remorse, call it sadness, I'm not really sure, but I know that if not for my actions on this day, another heart would still be beating. as far as regret, yeah one time, I killed a buck on public land, he was an average 17" 6 point, shot at 380 yards, when I got to him and aged him he was a 1.5 yo buck, and I was sorry, the potential that buck had!

I wouldn't go as far as to say I respect an animal that survives by instict, but I'm 50 years old and I can tell you this. The closer we come to our own death, the more we appreciate life. if you don't feel a sense of sadness for ending the life of a game animal, while still feeling a sense of pride of your successful hunt, you do in fact have something wrong in your mental being.
RR
You very eloquently stated how I feel. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=Ridge Runner;3646280 The closer we come to our own death, the more we appreciate life. if you don't feel a sense of sadness for ending the life of a game animal, while still feeling a sense of pride of your successful hunt, you do in fact have something wrong in your mental being.
RR[/quote]

Thank you RR.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bucktail_Bob
Squeeze, gut, eat.

There are no tissues in my backpack!

Don't feel bad if you wack a yearling doe. It still keeps the population in check and is darn good table fare.

bb

No tissues here, just respect for the animals I kill. I've probably killed around 150 deer in my life. I've enjoyed doing it, but I have respected each and every one of them, and because of that respect, I feel a little sadness for taking their lives. Not enough sadness to quit hunting of course. There is also a sense of pride in taking wild game, especially deer and turkey. Trust me, the pride and excitement outweigh the sadness, therefore, I will continue to hunt deer, turkeys, ducks, doves, and squirrels as long as God will allow me.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

How in the world is respecting your quarry negative
Did not say any method or reason you have is negative for you. I said I show my respect differently. Having remorse, sadness whatever after killing would be a negative for me. I have no problem with how anyone feels for themselves - but don't repect anyone telling me that if I don't see it their way, I am not responsible or there is something wrong. And I am 59, raised on a farm, and been killing animals for food since I was 5.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 AM
bigcountry

Did not say any method or reason you have is negative for you. I said I show my respect differently. Having remorse, sadness whatever after killing would be a negative for me. I have no problem with how anyone feels for themselves - but don't repect anyone telling me that if I don't see it their way, I am not responsible or there is something wrong. And I am 59, raised on a farm, and been killing animals for food since I was 5.
I figured you to be in it for a poser pic and thats it. Surprised you eat em honestly.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see your quest to figure my character out by a few internet posts is progressing for your. Does it feel special to have such a purpose?

Do you have anything to add to the thread other then taking a shot at me?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:16 AM
bigcountry

Glad to see your quest to figure my character out by a few internet posts is progressing for your. Does it feel special to have such a purpose?

Do you have anything to add to the thread other then taking a shot at me?
Sure. When I was a kid, I didn't feel any remorse. In the last several years, I do feel for the animal that has worked so hard to survive in a way humans could never fathom. Call it remorse, call it a touch of sadness, call it respect, its there. I don't think one could be human without that touch of remorse.

When pope and young went to Africa and killed thier lion with a longbow, both felt it too and documented it. Both added that the kill was bitter sweet with touch of sadness and respect for such a magnificent animal. These were the hunter of hunters. The pioneers. If those two in the 1920's could feel this, no reason we couldn't or shouldn't.

But from the few posts you have on here. I don't think you could understand that or them. Maybe you do. But what you have projected doesn't show any evidense of it.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regretting the kill won't put the deer back in the woods so be proud of everyone. I have killed does that turned out to be small spikes once I got up close to them and I don't kill spikes but I decided to honor theanimal and be proud anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.