Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever regretted killing a deer? >

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk
EVERYDEER!!I'm not putting anyone down but if you get sick after killing a deer and don't have the adreniline going and you not happy than STOP! hunting!
Me I regret my deer from last year(button buck) it came in fast I was caught off guard pulled up and shot it if it would have been regular season I wouldn have cause it woulda been illegal but it was youth season I knew I could shoot whatever the thing popped over a hill 20 yards away I turn my head and holy cow their a deer is I pull up and WHAM! I was pumped no doubt even when I saw the size but afew days later I was kinda upset..I enjoyed the adreniline and the fact we had deer meat for awhile but still woulda been better if it was atleast a heavy nanny doe
Actually, you are putting someone down.
I didn't say that. I wouldn't be deer hunting for the last 40+ years if I didn't enjoy hunting. I get pumped in anticipation of making every kill. I just don't enjoy the killing part and want to get it over with as soon as possible. They are beautiful animals, worthy quarry, and I have enough respect for them not to take killing one lightly. I admire your ability to kill without remorse. I just can't do it.

Last edited by Wingbone; 07-11-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Isnipe, I know exactly how you feel. Mine I picked up by it's hind leg and carried it, not over my shoulder but how you would a rabbit. after it was butchered it filled up mabey 25% of a grocery paper bag.

I think more people that hunt have at least 1 regret under thier belt, they just won't admit it.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Im not sure regret is the word, but sometimes a piece of sadness after the kill is required. I feel this after each deer I shoot, I think it is out of respect for the animal. I love deer hunting, I love taking a deer, but I respect the animal and I think it is natural to feel this type of emotion after taking any game.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Jimmy I would like to know the rest of the story as to why you would regret killing a deer. We all make decisions as hunters and stewards of the natural resource's we are so blessed to be able to pursue and manage through out the year and hopefully those decisions are made based on common sense, logic, information and knowledge . That being said if you feed your family from the animals you harvest regret is not something you should feel, rather joy, celebration and thanksgiving for the opportunity to partake in natures greatest gift. The hunt or enjoying the woods does not end with the kill. In my 40 + years afield I can tell you I have never regretted harvesting any animal or controlling and managing any species.
Live it up! Doug
Doug - Good question. First of all, I too have been hunting for many years. I was born when Truman was President and have taken my share of deer over the years. I have been hunting with my 3 sons for well over 25 years and we now hunt with my 2 grandsons. I love hunting as much as anyone and the anticipation, and comrauderie plays a big part in our hunt. We also eat all the venison we shoot and butcher all our deer.

That being said, yes, I say again, there are times I have regretted killing a deer. It may be that I have become more selective as the years have passed and I value life a little more than when I was younger. I see nothing wrong here. I certainly understand that a deer's must be killed in order to eat venision and to be successful during the hunt.

I have, on rare occassions over the years, walked up to the dead deer and regretted my decision. I'll repeat - on rare occassions. This is definitely the exception, not the rule and it's strictly a personal thing.

Does that make me a "Sally" or a "Mary", as some have mentioned, I surely hope not but others can express what they feel. On that issue, I strongly disagree. I was taught at an early age and have passed on to my sons and grandsons that we must understand the game we hunt, experience the challenge, enjoy those times in the deer woods and also respect the animals we hunt.

In this upcoming season when I walk up to the dead deer, I will take a moment to realize what I have just done. I will then have the biggest smile on my face because I have been successful. I will then share in this experience with other family members and friends in our hunting party. But if that time comes when I honestly wish I would have let that deer walk, it's my personal feeling. One I think I am entitled to.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
Doug - Good question. First of all, I too have been hunting for many years. I was born when Truman was President and have taken my share of deer over the years. I have been hunting with my 3 sons for well over 25 years and we now hunt with my 2 grandsons. I love hunting as much as anyone and the anticipation, and comrauderie plays a big part in our hunt. We also eat all the venison we shoot and butcher all our deer.

That being said, yes, I say again, there are times I have regretted killing a deer. It may be that I have become more selective as the years have passed and I value life a little more than when I was younger. I see nothing wrong here. I certainly understand that a deer's must be killed in order to eat venision and to be successful during the hunt.

I have, on rare occassions over the years, walked up to the dead deer and regretted my decision. I'll repeat - on rare occassions. This is definitely the exception, not the rule and it's strictly a personal thing.

Does that make me a "Sally" or a "Mary", as some have mentioned, I surely hope not but others can express what they feel. On that issue, I strongly disagree. I was taught at an early age and have passed on to my sons and grandsons that we must understand the game we hunt, experience the challenge, enjoy those times in the deer woods and also respect the animals we hunt.

In this upcoming season when I walk up to the dead deer, I will take a moment to realize what I have just done. I will then have the biggest smile on my face because I have been successful. I will then share in this experience with other family members and friends in our hunting party. But if that time comes when I honestly wish I would have let that deer walk, it's my personal feeling. One I think I am entitled to.
I agree with your post totally! If there is ever a lack of these feelings there is something wrong with you. I too have been hunting for over 40 years and can distinctively remember many times. Any one who would criticise you, is just plain wrong. I remember one time I shot a very large doe and when I went to field dress her, a fawn started bleating on the edge of the woods. That fawn stayed there till I was done, bleating the whole time. Now tell me any one would not feel bad! If that wouldn't make you sad, you have no feelings. That happened thirty years ago and I can still feel those feeling when I am writing this post. To each his own, but I would rather feel and respect the kill, than to be otherwise.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S

Jimmy, Thanks for taking the time to relate the rest of the story and I personally would like to thank you for being involved in and sharing your passion for the great outdoors and mother nature and sharing these experience's with your sons and grandchildren.
By harvesting and managing the whitetail herd you have spared that animal from dying a more anguishing death at the hands of mother nature's harshness of winter, starvation, disease, predators, possibly the occasional automobile (which is on the rise all across the U.S. Because of over population.) So not only have you provided the most nutritious protein for yourself and family, but you have spared that animal a more awful death than what it would receive at the hands of mother nature. Not many deer die from old age. So the harvest is cause for celebration! Thanks again for being part of what makes this country great our outdoor heritage and passing it along to your family, and for sharing your story! As for some of the others on this thread, well it seems some are quick to jump to conclusions before they even know what they are talking about. If the shoe fits.
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mnprohunter
Im not sure regret is the word, but sometimes a piece of sadness after the kill is required. I feel this after each deer I shoot, I think it is out of respect for the animal. I love deer hunting, I love taking a deer, but I respect the animal and I think it is natural to feel this type of emotion after taking any game.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last fall I was hunting with my recurve... First year for that... Anyhow I wanted to take a deer so bad with it and never had one come by close enough... Except for this one deer. It was a yearling that would come into my baited stand every evening and I just didn't have the heart to shoot this deer... I really believe this deer was bedding down behind my stand waitting for me to come with the corn because as soon as i tossed out the corn hear she came. For hours milling around under my stand... After the season was over I thought back about those hunts and said to my self "I should of took her"

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 07-12-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Longbeard, you actually do have a heart. BTW, all responsible hunters should show some remorse after killing a deer, but not regret killing it.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I respect the animals that I hunt. However, I have zero remorse and zero regret after I kill an animal. If I knew in advance that I would feel remorseful or have regrets, I'd stop hunting. I always feel the same, happy. God put them here for us to eat. That's just the way it is. I guess everyone feels what they feel. I don't think you can control those kind of feelings. I just always feel joy and happiness that I had a successful hunt and thankful for the privilege to hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.