Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever regretted killing a deer? >

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

i dont know how people can seriously sit here and say they have NO remorse. if you were a deer and somebody popped out of nowhere and shot you wouldnt you hope the had remorse? id think so. but onto another thing, this topic has gone from regretting a kill to a argument of morals so who knows.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
if you don't feel a sense of sadness for ending the life of a game animal, while still feeling a sense of pride of your successful hunt, you do in fact have something wrong in your mental being.
RR
Come on Ridge Runner. I've came to respect you over the years reading your post but I have to disagree with you on this one. I feel nothing but happiness and joy after a successful hunt. I do not find myself feeling sorry for the animal. I respect the animal and I figure it is doing just what God put it here for, feeding me, my family and my friends. Is there something wrong with my mental well being if I do not feel remorse while I'm filleting a bass or catfish?? Same as cleaning a deer or elk to me.

I guess everyone feels different but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with our mental health.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

agreed 100%
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

I have to say that this topic got way off. It started out as a "regret after the kill" and then went onto how "you should feel after the kill. 2 total different things going on.

I love deer hunting, period. And i accept in order for me to do what I love will include killing deer. plain and simple. I have a sense of accomplishment with every deer I kill. Not remorse.

My best days are when i get a chance to watch alot of deer that are not shootable for me. Respect for the animal, you bet. but when that "1" walks by, it's game on.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Sure. When I was a kid, I didn't feel any remorse. In the last several years, I do feel for the animal that has worked so hard to survive in a way humans could never fathom. Call it remorse, call it a touch of sadness, call it respect, its there. I don't think one could be human without that touch of remorse.

When pope and young went to Africa and killed thier lion with a longbow, both felt it too and documented it. Both added that the kill was bitter sweet with touch of sadness and respect for such a magnificent animal. These were the hunter of hunters. The pioneers. If those two in the 1920's could feel this, no reason we couldn't or shouldn't.

But from the few posts you have on here. I don't think you could understand that or them. Maybe you do. But what you have projected doesn't show any evidense of it.
Good post BC - I truly respect your thoughts on how the kill effects you and why.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
I have to say that this topic got way off. It started out as a "regret after the kill" and then went onto how "you should feel after the kill. 2 total different things going on.
Actually those seem pretty much the same, just worded a little different.

Heres what Ive learned so far in this thread, some people choose to inject emotion and sadness into a activity, they take part in, solely of their own free will. Why someone would continue to do something, year after year, that brings them sadness, is confusing to me, but I guess we all have our own crosses to bear. I also dont think it makes the hunters, who takes a more logical view of killing animals, any less humane or respectful.

As others have stated brilliantly, the only thing we as hunters can really do to show respect to our quarry, is take the most careful shot we can, to provide the least amount of suffering. No amount of sadness is going to change the fact that you just took a life, except in your own conscience, and that matter little to a deer. I will admit the 1st time I pulled the trigger on a deer, I felt a huge rush of emotion. some of it was sadness, some of it was guilt, alot of it was probably the adrenaline from the crack of the 12ga being fired at a large living creature. Since then I have killed my fair share of deer, hogs and a bear. I have butchered every single one myself, and watch many people enjoy the meals that came from my kills. its a perfect cycle of life, it make perfect sense to me, so no sadness is necessary from my POV.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Good post BC - I truly respect your thoughts on how the kill effects you and why.
Now, thats no fun. Bait wasn't big enough. I was just giving you a hard time.

Good deal.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ate early today.

Last edited by SteveBNy; 07-13-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well we go out hunting for a few days, man against the game animal, if man loses what happens? he goes home and plans his strategy for the next hunt, and he can lose often with no negative effects, the game can only lose once.
You all never think about how it would be if the situation were reversed? would you continue to hunt if one mistake ended your life?
We do it everyday. Every time you get in your car, youre taking your life in your hands. no living creature is completely safe on this planet, the grim reaper can pull your card at anytime. doesnt mean Im going to stop doing what I love, when that happens you might as well be dead anyway.
You've never had the sights on a deer when he realized that he had made a mistake, and it almost seemed like he knew the price he would pay for it?
I am not sure deer are even aware of their own mortality, they act pretty much on instinct. doubt they really know, or even can reason why they fear man.
years ago this stuff never entered my mind, as I've gotten older I notice it more.
RR
Oh it enters my mind all right, but I recognize it for what it is, an illogical emotion, its not reality. I can understand what youre saying though. I guess its the price we pay for having souls.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

deerandbearhog, you are right. I should have said "regret for A kill" not "how should one feel after they kill".

I think you got my point but thanks for pointing it out to me......

please feel free to correct any of my terminology though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.