Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Meat Hunter's?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Spike

im with ya, obviously i always hope to see the big one but whatever comes my way i know that i will enjoy taking any animal and will use all that i can of it. i would rather get the big guy, but ill take what i can get
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I have 6 deer tags, that equates to 12 loins……Ummmmmmmmm
Can only take 2 bucks in IL, has to be at least a P&Y or better for me to make the squeeze.
Will arrow a doe early or late in the gun season.
I only take does with my bow or hand cannons.

bb
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
"because if I don't shoot it, my neighbor will" needs to stop being said/practiced.

The more neighbors who stop practicing the more bucks that will get lucky and make it another year.

I'm not saying wait for a 180" deer in an area that really only can produce a 130", but don't take a spike or button buck simply because your neighbor would...

I say if you want meat, shoot a doe. Nothing wrong with being a meat hunter or a trophy hunter. I think you can be both. I think almost all trophy hunters still eat their trophy.

Yea right... It would be nice if everybody thought like you... But unfortunatly... We all dont live in a fantasy land... Or hunt private property

Go ahead and let your 2 1/2 year old bucks walk... I'll be more than happy to put them in my freezer
Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

meat hunter here as well. My ideal animal is a nice mature doe . If there is more than one coming down the trail i always target big moma
Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Spike

Meat hunter here too horns are a plus!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both. I kill a doe or two for the freezer then hunt for a decent set of horns. I have killed my share of 1.5 - 2.5 year old bucks in my lifetime so I let them pass now. I get my meat and get to hunt for horns too.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

oh yeah, i'm in. we don't really have nice bucks around here anyway. it's not because people haven't tried different self imposed restrictions, and supplemental feeding, and mineral licks, we just have a small deer, genetically i guess. television makes the nearly impossible seem all to easy. i just go for the fun and the meat.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

If the rack isn't bigger than what I already have mounted I see no point in killing it. to get meat I hunt out of state where the deer pops are higher and do the thinning on our lease as it needs to be done. I am not putting anyone down, I just don't see the mindset in continually killing a 125 pound buck or yearling or 80 pound fawn and then saying I am a meat hunter. I get more meat out of a 3 or 4 1/2 year old 200 plus pound buck and if he don't come along that is what those older long nosed doe are for.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

My son and I hunt does for the meat shooting 3 or 4 per year fills the freezer. We try and only shot 4 + year old deer. Good Hunting.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunter's Stew

was always a trophy with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.