Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Meat Hunter's?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Meat Hunter's?

How many of ya'll out their are meat hunter's? Beard,horn's and everything else is just a bonus.. I am a meat hunter mostly cause well if I dont kill the first thing I see a neighbor will lol. Deer around here dont have much potential very often but me and dad picked up two different spot's to hunt one of which last year we saw a bachelor group of buck's 2 10 point's(nice 10 point's.. 17 + inches wide) 3 8's( one was a dandy prolly 120-130 inch) and afew smaller bucks 6 point's fork's etc.. anyways so this year maybe I can afford to be picky ...

Sorry got off topic so whos a meat hunter?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Count me in. Im in for the experience and the table fare. If its a legal deer I see no problem with taking them yet I dont feel the urge to kill every deer I see.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Im in to, But only for Does. Most of the time after iv killed all the Does i can, ill just hunt for that special buck the rest of the season. Hah even after iv killed my secial buck ill scout out another for next season.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

"because if I don't shoot it, my neighbor will" needs to stop being said/practiced.

The more neighbors who stop practicing the more bucks that will get lucky and make it another year.

I'm not saying wait for a 180" deer in an area that really only can produce a 130", but don't take a spike or button buck simply because your neighbor would...

I say if you want meat, shoot a doe. Nothing wrong with being a meat hunter or a trophy hunter. I think you can be both. I think almost all trophy hunters still eat their trophy.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

you can count me in as well, but i shot both doe and bucks. but i havent shot a buck yet and im hoping to get one this year. i seen a big one a couple weeks ago and he is already past the ears. so im hoping i can get him. yea i am a meat hunter.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

You know how the Tazmanian Devil looks at Bugs Bunny and sees him as a plate of dinner? That's how I see deer walking to my stand. Yes, I get excited over antlers, and yes, I'll go out of my way to get on a big deer. But when I see them, I see marinaded tenderloins on the grill. Woo Hoo!

My wife hunts with me during our shotgun season in Illinois. She only hunts 2 or 3 days a year and will shoot the first legal thing that walks by. I'm all for that, because it's usually a yearling doe or a button buck. I'm not about to tell her to let them grow, because then she'll never go anymore. She's always proud of any deer that she can take. And I'll tell you what. Those young ones are easier to drag out of the woods and they sure taste good!!!

rw
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

add me to the list, i usually get one any sex tag for archery and late muzzy here in iowa, and then do three of the weekend management hunts at the wildlife refuge up the road from me. they allow you two antlerless tags for each hunt. there's two hunts in october, one in december and one in january.

don
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I don't like is these TV Junkies that go hunting for points, I traveled with a few this year I almost slapped them silly , all they talk about was I saw a 138 this morning and i Let him go, or That 150 Looked good but next year he will be better.

What is going on with this new Generation of Hunters ?.
I hunt for meat so I don't care if what he is carrying on his head is 2 points or 600 points.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt for antlers, but I enjoy eating them too. But I don't shoot does or young bucks. But being in Colorado there is not a over population of mule deer needed to be thinned down. That would be a different mentality all together.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt muzzle loading season (the early season here) primarily for meat...although if I have a crack at a buck, so be it.... but regardless, the venison in the freezer is much more important than a rack.
Once I have meat in the freezer, I hunt intently hoping to find a nice buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.