Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Meat Hunter's?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I guess I am a meat hunter. I hunt West Virgina for a week and if I don't get anything I will shoot a doe in Pa. the first day. If I get a deer in West Virgina, I will usually wait out a buck in Pa. for the first two days days of rifle. With out that out of state deer I get nervous and want something in the freezer. Some years I get lucky and someone in front of me hits one with a car. I don't care if you laugh or not, if the deer stepped out and only got hit in the head and neck, I am not above eating roadkill.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
"because if I don't shoot it, my neighbor will" needs to stop being said/practiced.

The more neighbors who stop practicing the more bucks that will get lucky and make it another year.

I'm not saying wait for a 180" deer in an area that really only can produce a 130", but don't take a spike or button buck simply because your neighbor would...

I say if you want meat, shoot a doe. Nothing wrong with being a meat hunter or a trophy hunter. I think you can be both. I think almost all trophy hunters still eat their trophy.
I agree with you to a degree,however one must consider what type of land an individual is hunting and what the doe season is for that area. In my case I hunt alot of National forest land that joins private. When all of those private owners are killing anything that passes nothing will ever grow to any size. Here in SW Va. you have maybe 4-5 days total to take a doe on National Forest while those who have the private land that joins it can take does virtually every day of the season. I can assure you that if a person has only a few days to hunt in a given season and they're on National Forest they will take a spike or or scrub buck should it pass by and I dont blame them.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I like to shoot 3 deer a year. To have a big doe step out 1st week of bow for the freezer is great. Then I sit back and wait for an above average buck. which to me is a 16" 8pt. And I have to tell you, that is when I enjoy being in the woods the most. I get to watch deer in their normal daily routine. Once gun season gets here my time limit for does is 10am till 2pm and late season it's when ever I see them.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think hunters need to worry less about what other hunters shoot, and more about our right to keep hunting in the future.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Theres a novel idea..
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot and we eat 4-5 deer a year, along with a lot of other game. But I won't shoot a buck unless he is 125+ minimum. With that said I usally get a buck every year. But its because everyone around me does the same
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I am a meat hunter also.