Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rut in Missouri?

Old 06-28-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Rut in Missouri?

First of all, i' m new to this site, but not deer hunting, as i have been hunting for almost 20 years now. But what i am new to is bowhunting. I was wondering if anyone out there in hunting land knows approximately when the rut kicks in in missouri? I' ve heard about two weeks before rifle season, but wanted another opinion. Oh by the way, if you didn' t know, two weeks before rifle season would be the beginning of November. Thanks to all
Old 06-28-2003, 09:54 PM

Default RE: Rut in Missouri?

Blaz welcome aboard, I live in central MO and here on my farm, the activity really picks up around the first of Nov. The deer move a lotr more and the bucks become more responsive to calling and rattling. The week before rifle season starts is my favorite by far, the bucks are moving constantly and chasing does like crazy. I just get in a spot where ive seen a lot of does and wait, the bucks will come, but it can happen real fast so be ready, good luck
Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 AM

I am in central Mo as well. I generally try to take off the first full week of Nov to bow hunt. I spend as much time in the woods as possible from the last week in Oct to mid Nov right before gun season opens. About the last of Oct., bucks seem to increase their travel activities and daytime travel. The number of scrapes and rubs really start to increase about that time. Year in and year out, that first full week of Nov. seems to be a great time to be in the woods while the bucks are in the seeking phase. Calls, scents, and rattling works well at that time. Be prepare to stay out all day, especially if a front moves in, or the wether is cool. The best buck I ever seen was at 11:30 in the morning on a woody travel route with overcast weather. Have fun.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, The last week in Oct. and first 2 weeks in Nov.are usually the very best here in southern Mo.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:40 AM

Here in N.W. corner of Missouri, the answer is the same-----last week in October to the first week or two in November is the time to be in the stand, depending on how warm the weather is. 2 years ago, the weather was so warm, I was hunting in a shortsleeve shirt and videotaping nothing but mosquitos and dragon flies. Oh yeah, got a couple of early flying bats on tape too.................By the way, this was on November 11..................