Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The trouble with scents & calls!! >

The trouble with scents & calls!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The trouble with scents & calls!!

Old 06-02-2003, 06:40 PM

Default The trouble with scents & calls!!

I am a 35 year old hard core hunting fanatic that happens to think scents and calls are for suckers!! I have read books, watched tapes and tried just about every type of call and scent, only to find out that they are all the same. They work to an extent, but I have never killed a mature buck while using them. My theory to killing mature bucks is to hunt where they frequent and blend into the surroundings as if you were not even there. After all, if a deer scenses no danger, he will follow his every day routine. Add a scent or call to the area and you have just tipped him off as to your location, which gives him an un-needed advantage!!!
Old 06-02-2003, 11:38 PM

Default RE: The trouble with scents & calls!!

I think I agree with you to a certain extent, actually. I' d say that calls, particularly, work in a setting more like turkey or elk hunting, where you' re trying to locate and/or pull in an animal that does more traveling. In that respect, the rut in a very densely (animal) populated area could prove a good place to work with calls. You' re telling an actively roaming animal that there' s something he should check out.

On the other hand, if you' re hunting a secretive big ol' boy from down in the swamp, you need to put yourself along his normal daily routine and keep quiet!
Old 06-03-2003, 06:03 AM

I also agree with you to a point. The one thing to remember is that these things need to be used properly. Using scent at the wrong time can actually spook deer, using a call improperly can spook deer. If they are used correctly and not over done they can be helpfull. It depends on where you hunt, what size the herd is, which way the wind is blowing, along with 100 other variations. I do get a kick out of these wannabe woodsmen that go into wal-mart and buy every call and every scent that is on the shelf.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:50 AM

Marlin 450;

I agree with you whole heartedly. Most scents work only during the rut - which if you are a gun hunter only, you more than likely will NOT get to participate in.

I do find that cover scents that are like the places you hunt, work well - ie. leaf scent smells like the leaves and humas that is on the ground. I think much of what we see in scents is directly associated to marketing schemes.

Far and away I think you are absolutley correct in blending into the area. I think the best measure of a deer hunter is when he leaves the field (successful or not) and the deer don' t even know he were there. The best hunters I know all believe and practice this also.

By the way - do any of you guys use gilly suits for deer hunting? I would appreciate your honest thoughts. I am looking for BOTH pro and con, so PLEASE post.

Good hunting to you all.

Dave
Old 06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rattling and grunting is my favorite tactic to use to increase my odds, There is nothing like the feeling you get when you either see a buck that is out of range and there is no chance he is going to come within bow range and you coax him to change his mind and he turns and heads right for your stand only to stop once again just out of bow range and then either coaxing him to continue into range or have him turn and decide to walk away ( regardless off the final outcome its very exciting). Or when Im blind calling and all the sudden the silence is broken and a furious buck is rushing in to see who the imposter is. To date I have harvested 7 bucks that I consider shooter' s from calling and Im positive i wouldnt have harvested any of those 7 if i didnt take my grunt tube or horns into the woods with me. Pike
Old 06-03-2003, 01:37 PM

Add a scent or call to the area and you have just tipped him off as to your location, which gives him an un-needed advantage!!!
And if the rut crazed buck is slipping by you at 50 yds are you going to wave goodbye to him or pull out the rattle bag / grunt / can, and try to pull him in.

I know what I would do
Old 06-03-2003, 07:43 PM

Rack Attack, if you pull out the rattle bag ( which in my opinion sounds nothing like a real deer battle) or whip out the grunt tube, you may get lucky enough to get him to stop or turn and seek you out, but if you spook him and he catches a bit of your scent while he is sneeking off, he may never return to the area during daylight hours again that season. If you let him pass, he may just sneek down that trail again in a few days and give you a shot. I have been in that scenerio a few times and have had the buck react by circiling down wind and busting me, or they stop after I call and do not move for what seems like 10 or 15 minuates, so I call again thinking it is working and he pinpoints the sound, catches some movement (which is bound to happen when your trying to rattle or blow into a tube) and sneaks or runs off. My point is simple, if he does not know that you are there and you are patient enough to wait him out, your chances at killing that buck in the near future are better than if you take a chance because you got a little too excited (which also can tip the odds to his advantage)!!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:50 PM

Jpike, I am glad that it works for you on what you consider shooter bucks, but I am talking about mature bucks (3 1/2 to 5 1/2 years or older) How many of them have you killed with your scents and calls??
Old 06-03-2003, 07:58 PM

I agree to some extent. I rifle hunt and have been very successful, but I have never used any scents or calls. This coming season I am going to grt a grunt call, take an old set of antlers, and give ratteling a try. I don' t think I will use any scents though; I am just not sold on their effectiveness.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:05 PM

Ruger1, you and your friends are way ahead of the game, keep up the great tactics!! As for Gilly suits, I think they have too much stuff hanging off them that can make shooting a bow tuff and cause extra movement to be detected. They sure do look like the answer, but I think that the key to blending in is to limit your movements too almost zero. I have hunted in blaze orange for over 20 years during rifle season and killed plenty of good bucks at 50 yards or less and I am sold on the fact that limited, slow movements and scent control will play a big role in killing deer!!

Quick Reply: The trouble with scents & calls!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.