Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Does watching videos of other hunters killing deer bother you? >

Does watching videos of other hunters killing deer bother you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Does it bother you to watch other hunters kill deer?
No, I enjoy vicariously experiencing other people's hunts
37.50%
No, I learn how to be a better hunter by watching hunting videos
51.79%
Somewhat, but I occasionally watch to both learn and see great deer being taken
8.93%
Yes, seeing deer killed by a third party bothers me.
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Does watching videos of other hunters killing deer bother you?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Spike

nope, it gets me pumped up!! i just hate watching it in the off season because it gets you wild up and you cant go out!!haha
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Can you be more clear on why you don't like watching hunting videos of other hunters doing their thing? Just curious.

I see one idiot already judging you for your thoughts.

iSnipe
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Can you be more clear on why you don't like watching hunting videos of other hunters doing their thing? Just curious.

I see one idiot already judging you for your thoughts.

iSnipe
I am kinda an animal lover, and I feel bad for the deer or other animals that get tagged in the hunting videos. I don't take any pleasure in killing any living thing if it is not bothering my, but I do not have problem dispatching mice in the basement or groundhogs in the pasture.

That being said, I have really enjoyed everything about these last 2 years of hunting (my first 2 years of hunting, started at 44). I really enjoy getting outside early in the morning, watching the land awake as I wait for a shot, the thrill of seeing deer around me, the thrill and adrenelin rush of releasing that shot, the good excercise I get dragging the deer out of the woods, even learning how to gut, skin and butcher the deer.

Maybe it is just the certainty of death that all hunting shows must portray...knowing that the fine buck that you are shown wondering in the brush is, most certainly, no doubt, going to be harvested.

It may also be that I am not nor will I ever be a trophy hunter...I can easily make peace with hunting because I really enjoy eating the deer I harvest, but I would never kill an animal just so I could stuff it or mount it (that is not to say that I am not very much looking forward taking my first mount-worthy buck:-)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to next hunting season, and I will watch some hunting shows, especially bow hunting shows over the next 6 months as I wait for the season, but not very many and often not the entire show.

Last edited by Sniggle; 02-18-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Thats what I do in the off season. Maybe learn something new, and so on. Sometimes to watch a you tube video about an unethical bothers me, but as for a regular legal hunt.... Love em.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand exactly what you are saying and I do agree. To me there is always a certain level of sadness seeing an animal as beautiful as a deer be killed in the blink of an eye. I have been a hunter for many years and I always feel sad, in my own little way, for the kill I just made. To me, it's all part of the hunting experience.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Seems like hunting shows never used to actually show the shot hit the animal, and I never minded it. I do like to see archer's shots to see where the hit is and the subsequent behavior of the animal. What I never like is to see the hunter saying things like "I smoked 'em!" after the shot. Seems a little disrespectful of the moment.

One other thing I don't like is seeing is how many of these guys with hunting shows (or their wives) miss frequently. "Musta hit a branch." "Closer than I thought - right over the top". Because you know that for every time they show a miss, they've probably also gut-shot or grazed an animal that they never recover. If you are a professional hunter, you had better be a damned good shot.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Spike

I totally watch them to learn about hunting. Where to shoot the deer. How they make a grunt before they shoot the deer to get their attention. How the deers behave. But mainly I like to dream that maybe a huge 16 point buck will walk out in front of me every time I get in the stand, like it does for these hunting show guys
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sniggle
I am kinda an animal lover, and I feel bad for the deer or other animals that get tagged in the hunting videos. I don't take any pleasure in killing any living thing if it is not bothering my, but I do not have problem dispatching mice in the basement or groundhogs in the pasture.

That being said, I have really enjoyed everything about these last 2 years of hunting (my first 2 years of hunting, started at 44). I really enjoy getting outside early in the morning, watching the land awake as I wait for a shot, the thrill of seeing deer around me, the thrill and adrenelin rush of releasing that shot, the good excercise I get dragging the deer out of the woods, even learning how to gut, skin and butcher the deer.

Maybe it is just the certainty of death that all hunting shows must portray...knowing that the fine buck that you are shown wondering in the brush is, most certainly, no doubt, going to be harvested.

It may also be that I am not nor will I ever be a trophy hunter...I can easily make peace with hunting because I really enjoy eating the deer I harvest, but I would never kill an animal just so I could stuff it or mount it (that is not to say that I am not very much looking forward taking my first mount-worthy buck:-)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to next hunting season, and I will watch some hunting shows, especially bow hunting shows over the next 6 months as I wait for the season, but not very many and often not the entire show.
Ok I get it...its ok to kill a ground hog or a mouse. Defintely you would not kill anything to stuff it or mount it. You realize how little sense that makes ? You eat groundhogs...mice?

I totally don't watch them at all. Since when did hunting become a spectator sport ? Watching someone else hunt wouldn't even wake me up from a nap. I don't take naps.

If it bothers you to see the kill maybe you should consider golf or tennis.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
Ok I get it...its ok to kill a ground hog or a mouse. Defintely you would not kill anything to stuff it or mount it. You realize how little sense that makes ? You eat groundhogs...mice?

I totally don't watch them at all. Since when did hunting become a spectator sport ? Watching someone else hunt wouldn't even wake me up from a nap. I don't take naps.

If it bothers you to see the kill maybe you should consider golf or tennis.
You obviously have a reading comprehension problem...but thanks for playing.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the words "I do not have a problem killing mice in the basement or groundhogs in the field" have a deeper meaning ?

or possibly these "but I would never kill an animal just so I could stuff it or mount it"

no comprehension problem here, I just copied what you said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.