Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lucky vs being good

Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Great answer...+1
Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Spike

I tend to think you create your luck - not always, but usually. By scouting and doing everything right, you put yourself in a position to have luck on your side and increase your odds. Also, it's more satisfying to feel like you did something to earn your success rather than just falling into it. I suppose it's fun to be lucky at first or from time to time, but over the long run, I'd rather be good.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
80% of hunting is being lucky enough to be at the right spot at the right time. The rest is what you do after you see the deer. To be lucky is to be good.
I think it's more like 90%. I think a good hunter knows where to look for deer, but then luck plays its part if the deer shows up or not. Deer hunting is not hard at all. Even if you kill trophy deer on a fairly regular basis, you still have to be in the right place at the right time. If you hunt an area that holds a lot of big deer, you are eventually going to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Luck certainly plays a part in deer hunting, especially over the years. And yes, I certainly have been lucky at times. That being said, I would rather be good than lucky.

I also believe in the old statement: "The harder I work, the luckier I get"
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned before , good hunters are probably luckier than most bad hunters. I've had my share of good luck and I can think of a few times I had no luck at all......
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

You prepare as much as you can and hope for the best. Luck plays a huge role and bad luck.....two weeks ago I woke up to a flat tire on my truck, had to change it, didn't get out in time to get to my stand before the deer. Is that the morning the big one came around my spot? /shrug who knows? I hunted my pasture all season a few years back and the one time I set my brother up to hunt it, he shot a monster buck I had missed early on. I was hunting an oat field once, set up in some brush laying prone under a stand of oaks one evening...I heard a shot and a buck came flying out of the brush off to my left and ran right out in front of me and stopped in the open, 100 yds away(incredibly, I missed! I was alot younger then )

I could go on and any number of us could....in the end, the more luck and preparation (ie, being good) you have in equal measure, the better your chances.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
I think it's more like 90%. I think a good hunter knows where to look for deer, but then luck plays its part if the deer shows up or not. Deer hunting is not hard at all. Even if you kill trophy deer on a fairly regular basis, you still have to be in the right place at the right time. If you hunt an area that holds a lot of big deer, you are eventually going to be in the right place at the right time.
No argument there.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Spike

A dab of good, a pinch of smarts and a little luck is a recipe for success in many hunts.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was my 20th consecutive yr of hunting, I sure hope all those deer I harvested over the yrs were not all because of luck. I like to think at least half of it was from being good.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Well being lucky might mean nothing if you aren't good. I was helping a buddy find a buck this fall when I heard some deer moving our direction about 45 min after we arrived, so I told my buddy to get ready, but he takes his sweet time making noise and all, just to spook a big 4x4 whitetail. I guess we were lucky, but because he isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, we went home empty handed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.