Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another way to ruin hunting

Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Spike

Not everyone is a "Rack" hunter, although everyone wants to be like the ones that have massive pictures posted, and the hunters we see on TV . Hunting should have more emphasis about the experience of the hunt and the enjoyment of being in the outdoors. the adrenalin rush is as great for young hunters as it is for the seasoned hunters.
Be still and see what moves around you.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Great post!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a fine post. I have been hunting white tailed deer for going on 48 years. I started on my own. Dad did not take me deer hunting. He was into running rabbits with beagles (great fun) and shooting ducks in timber (also great fun). Any person young to deer hunting, regardless of calendar years, is certainly still on the low end of the learning curve. So blasting anybody for such stuff as shooting a spike (which was my first buck) , or blowing a slam dunk shot opportunity (such as I have from time, including this past season), or not knowing how to track (who has not gotten in too much of a hurry?), or not toting the top end gear ... well, you get the gist. Old heads like me can do a lot of "teaching", especially when I use the lessons I learned the hard way through the years. You want to hear of fundamental mistakes ... I guess I have made them all. But I would like to think I have learned from mine ... and I appreciate learning from others as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

Agreed. Too much is riding on young hunters carrying on the sport that killing their spirits, kills the sport.
B-
www.trophywhitetailsupplies.com
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Spike

I agree! We should not chastise those who choose to shoot smaller deer, doe, nor those who hunt with a crossbow vs. a compound, rifle vs. a handgun, from a tree stand vs. stump hunting. It isn't the "how" you should be worried about, but was it legal and ethical. My hunting style is just that - it's mine, not yours and I'll allow you to hunt the way you want to and pass on animals that you or I choose too.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I can remember my brothers first deer hunt. He got so excited when he saw (A) deer, that he ejected three rounds out of his gun and shot once. Now that is excitement guys. Some would have screamed at him, but I just had a little laugh and went about our hunt. That is what hunting is all about to me. Watchin and teachin the youngsters.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Spike

Very good post. To me it isn't about the biggest rack, it isn't about that to me at all. It is about being out there with my family and friends obtaining memories and more. A harvest is a harvest and that's why its called a harvest. It's not anything more than getting a kill or anything of that nature of how big it was. If you had fun, and everything was legal you are golden. Have fun and enjoy the nature. IT isn't about all the nice hunting accessories people have. The camo patterns you have the range finders, nothing of that nature. Me I hunt in my boots, jeans, a shirt, my baseball cap and my 12 ga. I learned you don't need the camo and stuff to be a good hunter..
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Spike

Default More Encouragement And Hands On Teaching

HI FATHER FORKHORN,

I have just joined this forum today,i have had a quick look through when your post caught my eye.I live in england and our deer stalking is very different to america.

1 What you said about criticizing our up and coming hunters is right on the button encouragement is whats needed, not put downs there is an awful lot to learn when you start deer stalking and it dose not come overnight.I am what they call in england a professional deer manager.I look after various farms and woodlands,and in the 30 years i have been doing it i have had the pleasure of passing on the knowledge that was taught to me.

2 When teaching the young about hunting, make it clear and easy for them to understand, they are more likely take more in this way.

3 take them out any chance you have on the farms,in the woods show them what is shootable and whats not.

4 If they make a mistake so what!! tell them whats wrong dont jump all over them, encouragement is the word!! criticizing them is as much good as a chocolate teapot....

5 Here in england our government hate the idea of people owning guns,shooting is becoming a dirty word, our biggest problem is the PC brigade.This is why we must encourage all the up and coming shooters and teach
them the way of the hunter,then hopefully we will promote and save future hunting.

Regards,
chinese water deer

is the word, criticizing the up and coming hunter
Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Spike

Default Teaching and most of all ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!

Hi Father Forkhorn,

I have just joined the forum today,and i have had a quick look through and your post caught my eye.What you posted was right on
the button regarding the young hunters getting grief for mistakes.
I come from england and i have spent the last 30 years as a professional deer manager,i remember all those years back when the old man that taught me,said you never stop learning and he was dead right.

1 Get them young and interested and it will stay with them,when teaching them make it clear and keep it simple, take your time,but above all give them a chance .

2 Its no good shouting and jumping up and down,when they do something wrong,tell them where they went wrong, that way they wont repeat it again.

3 At this moment in england we have a government that,if it had its way we would not be allowed to own guns.I have through the years,helped a number of up and coming stalkers. We as a shooting body be it in america,or in england should be promoting and encouraging youngsters into the sport.

4 take them out as much as possible, show them the various deer and tell them whats shootable and whats not....its like any form of sport keep criticizing with no encouragement and you will lose them.
And if we want to keep our hunting for the next generation,then give the younger generation hands on training and above all....PATIENCE!!!!

Regards,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Spike

Well I have read every post on this topic and thought I would give my two cents. Everybody makes mistakes!!!!!!!! And we all learn from them. And a doe or a spike is not a mistake. Only if it is not legal. Over the last 25 years I have listen to other hunters talk about not killing does. And in the next sentence say that is all they seen this year. And I tell them in a sarcastic way I wonder why. Then I tell them we have to keep the herd in balance. I have seen it in my home state. We can kill 3 does and 1 buck a season. And this is working well. We have a better herd than ever. To get on topic this is how things affect young hunters. My son at deer camp last year was hunting with a mosinnagnt 7.62x54r I had 6 rounds of soft nose ammo for his gun. Opening day I was hunting not far from him when a shot rang out. I smiled and thought he got one. later when we got back to camp. I ask him if he shot and he said no. Thinking that there may have of been another hunter near by I thought nothing of it. And told him to keep a look out for other hunters. He had to go back to school after opening weekend. I told him I might use his gun to leave it there. The next day I went to use his gun and there was only 5 rounds so I checked his gun and it had been fired. I called him up to ask him about it and he got realy upset and told me that he was afraid to tell me in front of the others in camp that he had missed. And that he knew that he would catch h*!! from the other guys for taking a bad shot. I thought he knew that I would have stuck up for him. I have hunted with those guys for many years and know all of there storys on why they missed. I asked him if he looked for blood he said he did and he didn't find any. So here is the lesson in all of this if you take a youngster hunting. Make sure you tell him that he has your support and understanding. And not to be affraid to tell that he missed. And that EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.