Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: What is your prefered method of feeding corn to your deer herd?
Timed Feeder
32.50%
Gravity Feeder
10.00%
Placed on Ground
57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Feeding Deer

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Super G Force
Let me guess, no camo, no treestand, no sent sprays.....
hehehe
hey thats me LOL

Back to feeding. if you have the opportunity of being on your place or hunting area all the time, spreading corn out on the ground is better than a timed feeder. But if your not there all the time a feeder is the only way to do it.
Deer are much less leary around feed spread on the ground than a feeder, dont know why but it seems they know a contraption spreading corn is not natural, and danger is near.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
hehehe
hey thats me LOL

Deer are much less leary around feed spread on the ground than a feeder, dont know why but it seems they know a contraption spreading corn is not natural, and danger is near.

I am not sure that I "totally" agree with this. The feeder is just like farm machinery, they get used to it pretty quickly. I am sure at first it is wierd to them but they get adjusted to it.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Its not because you prefer it, its because thats the only thing they let you do.
True, it would be very nice to have the option to provide supplemental food sources during periods of high stress, such as late winter and early spring.... if our state allowed it. I believe it can be a great step to the ultimate management plan.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually try to have at least one feeder going most of the year, except during turkey season. I like to give the critters a little extra to eat during the Winter. I bow hunt some on a feeder, but not always. I never gun hunt a feeder. By that time, the deer are keying on acorns anyway and rarely come to a feeder during daylight hours, if then. I don't get why it is so immoral to some of you to hunt a feeder or corn scattered on the ground. As long as it is legal, it shouldn't concern you. How do we know the Indians didn't use corn as bait?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by backstrap1
yeah, its natural to find a big scattered area of corn in the middle of the woods!!! I guess the indians should of came up with that idea, then they might not be so over populated. I prefer to scout and find the deer instead of putting something out that gives me an unfair advantage. Old school son, old school...........
"You're the maaaaannn, Barta, you're the man."

That you Tred? How do you know the Indians didn't bait with corn?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

We tried using feeders but the turkeys were there all the time and the deer got nothing . Then we went to scattering it on the ground with the same results turkeys were always there first . finally figured if we spread it just before dark the deer would get some of it ,seemed to work pretty good so far .
Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
"You're the maaaaannn, Barta, you're the man."

That you Tred? How do you know the Indians didn't bait with corn?
actually they didnt even use arrows, they used horses and ran them off cliffs.