Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: What is your prefered method of feeding corn to your deer herd?
Timed Feeder
32.50%
Gravity Feeder
10.00%
Placed on Ground
57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Feeding Deer

Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Spike

Default Feeding Deer

I was wondering how many hunters supplement their deer herd with corn either with a feeder or a pouring it on the ground. Obviously, some states do not allow feeding or baiting deer but in states where it is legal I would imagine the percentage is high.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 timed feeders that I use to help keep deer on my property, it may or may not work. I use them more to see what is there than to hunt them. I do hunt trails that lead to the feeder but the trails were there before the feeders were put up. In my opinion the feeders are no different than having corn planted all year long. Some will disagree that that is my opinion.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the ground.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Super G Force
I have 2 timed feeders ...........In my opinion the feeders are no different than having corn planted all year long. Some will disagree that that is my opinion.

:rolleye001 1:. To each his own , where legal. I just can't help it though when this type of statement is made.

People can not honestly believe that hunting timed feeding stations is the same as hunting a corn field, can they?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Spike

no feeding the deer and corn fields are not the same but you are still hunting them by a food source so really what is the difference other than how you want to hunt the deer
Old 10-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crokit
:rolleye001 1:. To each his own , where legal. I just can't help it though when this type of statement is made.

People can not honestly believe that hunting timed feeding stations is the same as hunting a corn field, can they?
I have game cameras set up at my feeders. Deer do not come running to the feeder when the feeder goes off, I think that is what everyone thinks. There is days I don't even have deer at the feeders per game camera pictures. I actually have more luck and better timing of deer heading to the corn field I hunt. They move through the creek bottom around 6 pm- 6:30, they feed in the corn from 6:30 to dark. Talk about a set schedule.
My feeders have deer at them all random times of the day. And coons, birds, coyotes, bobcats etc........
Old 10-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
:rolleye001 1:.
absolutely !

We planted a food plot this year.
The blind has a timed feeder looking out the front window and a 2 acre plot looking out the back window. So if I shoot a deer out the back window in the food plot, you tell me exactly how that is different than if a i shoot a deer out the front window at the feeder.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to simply PLANT a few acres of it. Food and cover then. Besides, it's illegal to "bait" here in Illinois.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Spike

I used feeders in the past but pouring corn on the ground has worked better for me.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I prefer to simply PLANT a few acres of it. Food and cover then. Besides, it's illegal to "bait" here in Illinois.
Its not because you prefer it, its because thats the only thing they let you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.