Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Drury Question

Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Be glad they don't come to you area and hunt. Because when they do you will see a mass exodus of hunters looking to kill all the big bucks follow. The majority of which couldn't tell a 2yr old from a 6yr old so they kill whatever walks, crawls, or wonder's by. I have hunted 2 region's in the Midwest where this is or has been the case and causes nothing but TROUBLE for the local hunter's AND landowner's. TRUST ME!!! You don't want them to come to your honey hole.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Spike

I'm with Lee on this . When I was real young I kept passing on does and my grandpa said to me why are you passing on them does ? I said grandpa I can't tell how big they are from way up here . He said 1st look for nubs on there heads and if there no nubs then 2nd look at how long the nose is if its short let it walk then 3rd he said look for some gray on the nose and the bone structer mass you can tell he said harvest the older 4 or 5 year old does they only have 1 fawn in spring and the younger 2 to 3 year old does have 2 sometime 3 fawns in spring . But that still stays with me today with bucks to my bigges buck is a 150 class buck I harveted . But I'm close to I39 and some get hit by cars and some bucks get some funky antlers when they get a tap from a car the antlers go wrong like if the deer gets hit on the right side and lives the left side come out over ther faces or only one antler come up on the left and the right is ok . but thats the type of deer i've been harvesting the last few years .
Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iowabuckslayer
Be glad they don't come to you area and hunt. Because when they do you will see a mass exodus of hunters looking to kill all the big bucks follow. The majority of which couldn't tell a 2yr old from a 6yr old so they kill whatever walks, crawls, or wonder's by. ............

I hear ya on some of that, but frankly, the last thing I would have to worry about is a mass exodus of hunters to where I hunt. As long as choppers and planes are not allowed to drop 'em in, my 20.000+ acres is safe. In fact, the state constitution prevents it from happening.

In fact, I will give them a STANDING INVITE right to my area. Number 1, they wouldn't except, Number two, there is an 8-9 out of 10 chance they wouldn't be successful, and not because the 4 1/2-5 1/2 yr. old buck aren't there. They would have to undertake DEERHUNTING much over deer SHOOTING.

I say let the show people have at it. I don't begrudge them for what they do. I will say, to answer those who ask " wouldn't you do the same if you had a chance ": I can honestly say no, and I hope I never get to the point of " killing for profit ", regardless of the game, or prostituting my self for a product. This is not a slam to guides and such that bust their arses for clients, and to those folks, I apologize if taken that way.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

This post amuses me and interests me at the same time. I have a couple of thoughts to contribute.

1.) I don't have a problem with "professional hunters" having financial compensation for the use of their products.

2.) I do think that the celebrity hunter loses some credibility when they act so "passionately" about a specific product. I would rather them be completely honest and say something like, "This year, I am shooting a PSE because they are my sponsor this year."

3.) I think that technology and production has come to the point where most production bows are capable of being efficient hunting bows. With that said, who cares which one is best? I shoot a Hoyt because I like it and I paid for it. However, if someone was to offer me financial compensation to shoot another brand, I would accept their offer, provided I could shoot it accurately.

4.) I remember an article about a record book AL deer. The original pictures of the deer showed the hunter in military fatigues. He was at his truck at the gas station all sweaty and happy. The posed pictures showed him in a branded camo pattern. The article was clear to say that he was wearing said brand of camo. However, my gut told me that this was all wrong. I can't prove it and don't really want to, but I can't help but think that that part was added with some compensation. I just don't think that he changed out of his branded camo to put on military fatigues to get his first pictures taken with that buck. Since then, I have avoided that brand (even though I like it) because it is just too deceptive. Why not just sponsor him after the fact.

4.) Some of my favorite videos are some old vhs tapes I have of some guys in GA ...I think their names were Bobby Tucker and somebody Shirah.... They were awesome.

Just be honest. Don't be deceptive. Lots of products work.

Last edited by Arjuna; 09-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

if you were on tv hunting and getting all the perks they get u would be doin the same thing. Thats part of getting sponsors is advertizing their product. thats just part of the gig.and ur not gonna be able to watch hunting on tv or video and not see that
Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Spike

I do understand about the sponsorships. I do have some shows I like better than others. But I do like them all. The hunting shows are my past time. I live in an area of central florida where the deer are tiny. They are all covered in parasites/ticks. It never gets cold enough to get rid of them. Everyone i've talked to who has lived here for years says it a waste of time to deer hunt here. I lost my job and cant afford to travel for a hunt, so for now all the shows will take place of my hunting season.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Spike

Isn't that what television is all about! no one really wants to see a NY hunt unless its from an awesome piece of property and a trophy deer harvested! If these shows were anything less we would be complaining about how much money the host makes from the products they indorse and should be taking trophy deer. I enjoy seeing these big mid-western trophys taken, gives us common folks a measuring stick to shoot for. Any thing less would be like going to a dragstrip and see two mini vans line up. Not very profitable!
The trick is keep yourself grounded, most know this is television and reality is what it is in the area you hunt!

A trophy in some areas may be an inferior animal in other parts of the U.S. but still considerd a trophy never the less!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Spike

Like many wise people have said before I think there is a slight jealous streak running here. Well I am not going to give the satisfaction any longer so see everyone later.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lone cedar farm
A trophy in some areas may be an inferior animal in other parts of the U.S. but still considerd a trophy never the less!
well said. didn't drury's do a show about a farm in upper NY on their Biologic show a few years back? So there are HUGE deer there if they took the time to film a whole season there.

Like is said before stop shooting the young deer. Shoot the bucks that are 4 and older. Its easy to tell their age just look for a pot belly and normally they walk stiff legged. These are all true trophy deer no matter if it scores 120 or 180. you just out witted the smartest deer in the woods when you kill him.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

It may be a personal truphy but it is not and never will be a profitable television trophy.

If they were considered trophies by the "pro" hunters then they would be hunting in areas like Florida, California, Carolinas, Maryland, etc... etc...

I am all for people getting paid for what they do. It is the constant selling out that really gets me. It happens in all facets of business and it's gotta stop. No one can believe a personality when they speak any more. They may as well be pussing bull crap from their butts when they speak.

Brand "X" is the best bow on the market. And then the very next season it is Brand "J" that is the best, then two or three seasons later it becomes brand "A". For no other reason than one brand is willing to pay more than the other brand.

They may have started out with good intentions but for the major players the bottom line is that...
*There is no honesty or loyalty what so ever in most of these shows.
*It is all about greed and making the money and setting aside your morals just so they can pedal the lastest wonder product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.