Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Gutting Knife

Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've carried either a Schrade or a Case 9" folding knife for close to 40 years and use them for dang near anything. I've had a couple of gut hook Schrades and really like the gut hook feature, but when it gets a little dull I've never been able to sharpen the hook to a razor edge. I tried a Dremel and a chain saw file, but they just don't exactly do the job I wanted.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I've carried either a Schrade or a Case 9" folding knife for close to 40 years and use them for dang near anything. I've had a couple of gut hook Schrades and really like the gut hook feature, but when it gets a little dull I've never been able to sharpen the hook to a razor edge. I tried a Dremel and a chain saw file, but they just don't exactly do the job I wanted.
Same experience here, If I have the fixed blade with the gut hook, I don't even bother with it anymore. I can open up the cavity just as fast using the blade.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Usually the Buck folder that I carry, it has a 2 1/2 inch drop point blade...It's the plastic version of the Squire...I've also used the Duke which is the 3 inch version...

I've also used a Schrade Sharp Finger, just bought the new Bear version of the Sharp Finger they are made in AL) to replace the one stolen last year...I refuse to buy the made in Chine Schrades...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

buck vanguard and my marbles sport are my two faves. great steal for putting a razor edge on
Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cannonw24
Get a Wyoming Knife, under 30 bucks and is the best skinning knife u will ever own guaranteed
10-4, I've had mine for over 20 years and it opens the animal up like a zipper without cutting the inerds.
I've never seen a gut hooked knife that I really liked, really don't need it, I'm convinced on the wyoming.

Bobby
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take a good old knife over a new one any day. I use an old case xx folding hunter with the good carbon steel blades which are superior to stainless steel for holding an edge and they will sharpen to a razor edge. Go to ebay and type in "case xx hunter" or "case xx vintage knife" and you"ll find plenty good old hunting knives. They don't build knives like they used to IMO. 70' MODELS ON DOWN ARE THE BEST ONES.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take a good old knife over a new one any day. I use an old case xx folding hunter with the good carbon steel blades which are superior to stainless steel for holding an edge and they will sharpen to a razor edge. Go to ebay and type in "case xx hunter" or "case xx vintage knife" and you"ll find plenty good old hunting knives. Look for one in real good shape as alot on there will be. They don't build knives like they used to IMO. You might spend 25-60 bucks on a good one but theyre well worth that. 70' MODELS ON DOWN ARE THE BEST ONES.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at Anza knives. They are U.S. made and quite affordable. Kind of neat process for making them. They start with a Nicholson file, anneal it to make it less brittle, and then shape it as desired. The handles are usually some type of resin impregnated wood or horn. The result is a high carbon knife that is easy to get crazy sharp, and keeps an edge. They are NOT stainless, but I never thought that was a big deal. Keep it oiled just like your rifle and it should last you a lifetime.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing Ive ever used to open up a deer is a .99 box cutter.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

These two are my favorites.

http://www.outdooredge.com/product_d...D=8&prod_ID=29

http://www.havalon.com/xt-60knp.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.