Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Gutting Knife

Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Spike

Default Best Gutting Knife

Title says it all. I am in the market for a new knife used only for field dressing whitetails and was wondering what I should get.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Here's one I got last year. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=511273 . One hell of a knife for $25. I've seen better, but nothing else even close for near that money. If you get around $100, you can usually take your pick.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Spike

never had a knife with a gut hook. Do they get in the way? How do you utilize it?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Spike

I have a browning with 3 blades on it. On is a saw, on is a regular blade and one is a straight blade with a gut hook on it. The gut hook is the best feature. It basically zips open the deer for you. I've owned the knive for 7 years and it is still razor sharp
Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

The best knife is a bloody one. As far as knives go, I have a small gerber with a gut hook which is nice, but I always seem to go back to my Buck Knife.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

the gut hook is used to open the hide...you make a small hole then flip the knife over and put the gut hook in that hole and pull the it to slice open the hide...

never really used one or seen a use for one..

honestly, you dont really need much of a knife or anything fancy to gut a deer...

ive actually started to use a small knife...i use a Buck 311 i think...its a "trapper style" knife...2 blade folder...one with a very nice sharp point and the other with a rounded point(forget what that blade style is called)

both blades are thin...but i really like it...

most guys use WAY too much knife...big fixed blades etc...IMO they are useless and more of a hassle than they are worth for gutting a deer...

i gut my deer differently than alot of guys...i started doing alot of drives and gutting deer is burning daylight...theres only 2 of us in the crew that are "approved" (lol) to gut deer on drives because it takes everyone else too dang long...i'll have someones deer gutted before they have the tag filled out...theres no need to be a surgeon...and yes, im still clean and pretty neat about it...but theres only 3 major steps...cut the critter open...cut the windpipe...cut around the anus...everything else pulls/spills right out...a few extra cuts like the diaphram n such..but thats really about it..

a big knife just gets in the way IMO...i can work my small knife right around the anus and reach into the cavity to cut the windpipe much easier and safe with a small blade than i could a large..and its easier to make sure i dont hit guts or bladders or stomachs with the small blade...

the key is a VERY sharp knife...scaple sharp...

the other guy that guts on our drives uses a razor blade..which IMO is too much trouble because he still gotta pull a knife out to cut around the anus...he just dont like sharpening knives..but works great till that step...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Spike

What size blade is best?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Get a Wyoming Knife, under 30 bucks and is the best skinning knife u will ever own guaranteed
Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 2" blade is plenty, I have several knives that I take with me. I have my Buck folder that is on my belt, I have another Buck set with no slip handle both are fixed blades one has a gut hook as well as another fixed blade that I keep in my pack. By far the most important thing is to get a blade made from quality steel that will keep an edge. The cheapo knives just won't hold an edge. You don't need to spend mega buck, $30-$50 will get you a quality Knife.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Knives of Alaska are very good blades. My fiancee gave me the "Alpha Wolf" for x-mas and it's my very best all purpose knife. Full tang handle so nothing to break, or become loose like many folding knives can over time. Also the blade is made of very high carbon D2 tool steel, it holds an edge longer than any of my stainless knives. comes with a nice leather case as well.
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalo...cat=Alpha+Wolf
I have the knife with the "sure grip" handle. Its a hard rubbery material, perfect for heavy use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.