Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Gutting Knife

Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the Cutco drop point. Holds an edge quite well. Only problem is, when you want it sharpened, you have to send it back to the factory... The other that I use is the CRKT Bridger Skinner. Nice knife. Good ergonomics for skinning. But, has to be sharpened much more frequently than the Cutco.
Attached Thumbnails Best Gutting Knife-knife.hunter_1117_detail.gif.jpg   Best Gutting Knife-crkt_bridger_2002_lrg.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used my Buck 110 since day 1. When my son started to deer hunt I bought him one. It's the only knife to have in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Spike

Buck Zipper. Never need another knife after that.

Sidenote -get the rubber handled one,the wood one gets slick after getting bloody.Also you gotta love a company that has enuff confidence in their product that they offer a " forever" warranty.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
The best thing Ive ever used to open up a deer is a .99 box cutter.
this is what I use too. its one of the cheapest and easiest. its very sharp!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

you should check out outdooredge.com, they make a great product and there new product the swing blade....is the tits!! Really does open game like a zipper!!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cleveland5
this is what I use too. its one of the cheapest and easiest. its very sharp!
Just curious... Do you use the box cutter just to "open it up" or for the whole process of removing the cape, removing the organs, etc., etc.?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the box cutter to open the stomach ,cut around the penis and anus and cut out the organs. Its also good for making a clean cut around the body, behind the shoulders, when caping for a shoulder mount ,but I think its actually too sharp for skinning. I also keep it in my HSS ,so in an emergency I can cut my tether strap very quickly if I had to.

For skinning and butchering, Ive used and outdoor edge kodi skinner for about 9 years.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

i come bearing good news. Just look up "swedish mora" knives. they are cheap, high quality and will do what ever you want. Many styles etc..

i have AG Russel knives, schrade, buck, etc.... i find that a good metal (440c, 154cm, AUS8) is important. AS far as lenght, IMO 3 to 3.5" in blade length is perfect for me. I also prefer a fixed blade for field dressing. Easier to clean, no worrying about folding failures, freezing up and cleaning blood and hair out of it.

here is the mora knife. this came to me razor sharp and it made from carbon steel.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Swedish-Mi...0014472&sr=8-1

give them a look. i bought a few just in case i lose them. I usually look to this knife or my AG 3.25" blade knife.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Wub
Typical Buck

I use a Benchmade Outbounder 180. The blade at 3.75" is a bit long for dressing a deer but I'm happy with it. It's a bit more pricey than some of the other ones out there but I doubt I'll ever replace it. I've only had it about 3 years but I like it a lot. I've never used a gut hook.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wub
I use a Benchmade Outbounder 180. The blade at 3.75" is a bit long for dressing a deer but I'm happy with it. It's a bit more pricey than some of the other ones out there but I doubt I'll ever replace it. I've only had it about 3 years but I like it a lot. I've never used a gut hook.
once you do-you will never look back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.