Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Gaining permission to hunt new properties >

Gaining permission to hunt new properties

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gaining permission to hunt new properties

Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: From a landowner's perspective

I usually hunt public lands, but have been given permission to hunt numerous properties in NY and PA the past several years, though I haven't capitalized on it.

Each case, I show up months before season, I stress I hunt alone, no ATV, and i DO carry a release form that I get notorized. Land owners have been receptive.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like has been stated, be polite if they say no thank you sir/maam have a good day. Sometimes it also helps to offer something like assistance on projects on the land of some such show of sincerity.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a land owner and I seldom have anyone ask to hunt our property unless its after we catch them hunting first . In those cases the answer is always no . We do allow people to hunt the property but limit the number of people at onetime .
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Be prepared for the answer you dont want to hear, "no, sorry you cant hunt here". Its going to happen, but dont get discouraged. Keep at it and eventually you will land on the doorstep of a gentleman that will allow you to use his property to hunt on. And remember, as it was stated before, always be polite even after the season is over. Me and my dad had permission to hunt some land (where I killed my first deer) and my dad always went out of his way to get the land owner hard to find movies (old ones) or ammo/guns he may have wanted to invest in. Send Christmas cards and because he knew the landowner so well over the years, he would send birthday cards to him and his wife on their birthdays. Its the little things that go along way. And I remember that my dad would tell me after I killed a deer that I, not US should offer any meat he may want. That still sticks with me today. Now we own our own land and dont need to knock on doors. But I will being doing it this year for the sake getting more land to hunt coyotes on. Remember, you will make an impression on someone eventually, and the more and more you keep your word to the land owner and go out of your way to help the land owner, he/she will talk to other land owners, and it will come up. It can lead to alot of opportunities down the road.