Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you hunt all of your spots/properties the same way? >

Do you hunt all of your spots/properties the same way?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you hunt all of your spots/properties the same way?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Do you hunt all of your spots/properties the same way?

Do you take the same approach when hunting all of your hunting spots/properties?

When we seek advice or hunting mtehods for the lands we hunt.....is it conceivable that there are few "cookie cutter" approaches that will work EVERY time.....in EVERY possible scenario?

Honest question......Do you feel like YOU are the best source of information regarding the lands you hunt?

I find the answers to these questions extremely importantwhen weighing information I read, get online and hear from other hunters. Isn't the application of information to suit your situation.....a vital part of becomingthe best hunter you can be on the ground you have access to?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you hunt all of your spots/properties the same way?

Do you take the same approach when hunting all of your hunting spots/properties?

When we seek advice or hunting mtehods for the lands we hunt.....is it conceivable that there are few "cookie cutter" approaches that will work EVERY time.....in EVERY possible scenario?

Honest question......Do you feel like YOU are the best source of information regarding the lands you hunt?

I find the answers to these questions extremely important when weighing information I read, get online and hear from other hunters. Isn't the application of information to suit your situation.....a vital part of becoming the best hunter you can be on the ground you have access to?
It depends! I DO believe that certain types of stands are always good choices, specifically funnels. Same approach as far as game plan? I think ALMOST always. Depends what I am "after". Sometimes, I hunt my lesser spots just to see and shoot does. Don't want to "shoot my wad" when I do not have to.

I do believe that I am the best source of information regarding the lands I hunt, without question.

I try to perceive everything I see and hear on these boards as it would pertain to my property or hunting situation, I think I get the most out of it this way!\

Good post!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only in the sense that I use treestands 95% of the time I hunt. But the set-ups certainly vary by location, time of year, crops be they mast or planted, and many other variables including wind no just direction but speed etc etc.

Am I the best source for information on the land I hunt? Well I certainly talk to anyone who frequents the land be it hunters, owners, neighbors etc, to garnish any info I can. But when It comes down to it. Yes, and thats not to say I'm the know-all and beat-all but I'm the one out there for hours upon hours seeing what I see or in some cases not seeing. Do I make mistakes, choose wrong sites, question whether I should be in another location..sure!

Sometimes I say I have too many good areas and not enough time to hunt them. And Most times I think I need more more more. [8D]
Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

a cookie cutter tactic that i use is funnels.....yes they work on any ground that has one....in fact sometimes i "overlook" good sign and hunt land structure

i would say that i am the best source of information on most of the ground that i hunt because i am the only one that is allowed to hunt it
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

NO. All properties are not created equal. Crop land and deep woods hunting are different. Deep woods deer are a totally different animal from a crop land deer. No way can you put a cookie cutter stamp on them all. Pressure from other hunters will also change the game. Just like opening day of gun season in Southern NY will change for the rest of the year what deer do and when they do it.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Great stuff, so far, guys. Just what I was looking for.

Absolutely not. It changes (approach) form woodlot to woodlot.....whether they be 5 or 50 acres. The fact that the woodlots I hunt ARE small also changes the approach.

What's on the adjacent properties (habitat/hunting pressure/access) also changes how I approach hunting these spots.

I think it's highly conceivable.....to downright expected. That's why I detest "absolutes" when discussing deer hunting. We see thread sin here all the time that dispel such. "Do deer go to water"? "Are mature bucks afraid of flash cameras"? etc... I think there are VERY few "absolutes" in deer hunting......othe than they gotta eat, sleep and make little deer.

Do you feel like YOU are the best source of information regarding the lands you hunt?
Yes I do. And I'd bet most if not all of you guys are, too. Refreshing to hear you guys admit that. There's nothing wrong with the assertion.

Isn't the application of information to suit your situation.....a vital part of becomingthe best hunter you can be on the ground you have access to?
This goes back to a previous question....but it's something overlooked here a lot, I think. Don't mean that in a bad way. It's just a product of people utilizing the land they hunt to their best interest.......being the sole "expert" on the land they hunt.......and understanding that there are many ways to skin that cat......even if it's "unconventional" to some/many.

To me it's the "benefit of the doubt" factor.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt all properties the same? No, though a couple are similar. Do I know more about the property than anyone else? On one that I hunt I would say yes, with the exception of the guy that is the caretaker and lives there. He's out there every day and works on the neighboring property as well, so I go to him a lotfor recent scouting info.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer hunting is constantly changing even on the land that you hunt? You have to adapt to these changes to be succuessful

If the acorn trees aren't producing this year will need to change your approach -If there was soybeans last year and cotton this year will need to change your approach- This is why a certain amount of scouting is important and the last few months were the time to be there doing it

The most common approach I take is trying to distinguish bedding areas and set- up a point to intercept them from there - So I apply to the same principle to hunting them but also adapt to changes in the food sources
Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

GMMAT, maybe I should ask you to clarify. What do you mean by "approach"?

I always try to go completely undetected whenever I hunt. I try to always have my scent blowing to places that deer are not expected, is this what you meant?
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer hunting is constantly changing even on the land that you hunt? You have to adapt to these changes to be succuessful

If the acorn trees aren't producing this year will need to change your approach -If there was soybeans last year and cotton this year will need to change your approach- This is why a certain amount of scouting is important and the last few months were the time to be there doing it

The most common approach I take is trying to distinguish bedding areas and set- up a point to intercept them from there - So I apply to the same principle to hunting them but also adapt to changes in the food sources
EXCELLENT, Frank!

Crop rotation......an "off" acorn season.....all can play a part.

Quick Reply: Do you hunt all of your spots/properties the same way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.