Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Gaining Access to hunt neighboring properties >

Gaining Access to hunt neighboring properties

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gaining Access to hunt neighboring properties

Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gaining Access to hunt neighboring properties

I was thinking of asking a fellow landowner permission to hunt his property in the off season with the hopes of gaining access to hunt it during the 2008 season. I am pretty confident no one else hunts this property and am thinking of trying something new this year. What I was wondering is, how would be the best way to go about asking him? What would be the best approach?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gaining Access to hunt neighboring properties

Don't be shallow [transparent]like some and show up on the porch a week before opening day in fatigues.Pop over and visit him throughout the off season,take him or his kids fishing,offer to help him cut wood or fix fences.When you show that you're a decent [respectful]person and have a neighbourly relationship politely ask about hunting.Maybe he don't like guns but would let you use a bow?Never had too much trouble getting on land.It don't hurt to give him some meat or fish from time to time......................Get to know him first,the worst he can say is no? Harold
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you haven't met him yet, i would make it a point of introducing yourself and visiting a time or two without even bringing up the issue of hunting. And it is not always necessary to do all sorts of work for them if you are a neighborhing landowner, since they may want tobe nice to you as well for the sake of keeping a neighbor happy. The guy who owns 140 acres surrounding my property on three sides pretty much volunteered to let me hunt on his ground after i made a couple phone calls with him just to chat and beneighborly.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

another good thing to add is maybe start small. ask to small game hunt or maybe ask to do some predator control.alot of land ownwers will let you take out pesky squrruils and i dont think i met anyone that wouldnt let me shoot some coyotes. it usually leads to a good relationship with themand opens up a better possibility to hunt deer.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. My family and i have never met him before and it would be rude to just barge in and ask to hunt, pretty arrogant if you ask me. Hopefully we'll get in touch with him soon and make some plans get to know each other during the off season.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I am doing the same thing next season and asked this question a while back. I hunt in my backyard and which connects to a couple of 10-15 acre lots. My "backyard" neighbor is clearcutting his property lines. I hear him all the time clearing his property. Well, one day I was zeoring my gun and doing a little scouting and saw him in a hunter orange hat. Introduced myself and told him I wanted make sure I wasn't on his property. He said he doesn't care if I "track" deer because he hunted years ago. Well I offered to help clearcut and shoot predators...he is all for the predator shooting and said as our relationship grows I can hunt his land. Like others have said....be neighborly and get your foot in the door....